JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Off-Road 101 (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/)
-   -   Whats the safe way to connect a tow strap to a vehicle without recovery points? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/whats-safe-way-connect-tow-strap-vehicle-without-recovery-points-193745/)

troyboy 08-31-2011 12:31 PM

Whats the safe way to connect a tow strap to a vehicle without recovery points?

Is it safe to place a small choker chain around the vehicle frame and then use a d-ring to attach to the strap or is that a no no? Also, are all recovery straps strechy? I have a 20 year old 30' recovery strap that is 2" wide. I bought it 20 years ago and hardly used it and now I can't remember anything about it.

Troy

Notakar 08-31-2011 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by troyboy
Is it safe to place a small choker chain around the vehicle frame and then use a d-ring to attach to the strap or is that a no no? Also, are all recovery straps strechy? I have a 20 year old 30' recovery strap that is 2" wide. I bought it 20 years ago and hardly used it and now I can't remember anything about it.

Troy

Not a good move - small choker chain breaks and D-ring become a projectile. You'll be lucky if you come away with only damage to the vehicle and not people.

troyboy 08-31-2011 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Notakar (Post 2504397)
Not a good move - small choker chain breaks and D-ring become a projectile. You'll be lucky if you come away with only damage to the vehicle and not people.

ok, so don't help anyone who doesn't have a recovery point? :thinking:

scotty6336 08-31-2011 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by troyboy (Post 2504462)

haha yeah...I've pulled out another JK by his axle as it was the only place and messed things up pretty bad. I would also not recommed a 20 year old tow strap. I've seen a tow strap break and its very dangerous to say the least.

But in a pinch if a guys on the trail getting stuck without any recovery points (which he shouldnt be imo) then you can improvise...but beware of the consequences.

dcharge74 08-31-2011 02:25 PM

It's OK to help someone with no recovery points. Just make sure that THEY hook the strap to their vehicle. That way, they can't blame you when you rip their bumper off.:thumbsup:

Notakar 08-31-2011 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Notakar (Post 2504397)

Use the tow strap through it's own loop around the same point you would place the choker chain or use a separate strap (tree strap).

I'd rather spend a little more time stuck than put a hunk of steel through a window and/or skull.

troyboy 08-31-2011 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Notakar (Post 2504725)
Use the tow strap through it's own loop around the same point you would place the choker chain or use a separate strap (tree strap).

I'd rather spend a little more time stuck than put a hunk of steel through a window and/or skull.

oh ya, a tree strap should work as long as it isn't against anything sharp under the vehicle.

genesbro 08-31-2011 06:03 PM

First rule for going offroad. If the vehicle didn't come with tow hooks buy them and get them installed before going offroading. Without tow hooks or hitch there really is no safe attachment point for the strap.

speed2005 08-31-2011 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by genesbro (Post 2505152)
First rule for going offroad. If the vehicle didn't come with tow hooks buy them and get them installed before going offroading. Without tow hooks or hitch there really is no safe attachment point for the strap.

i think he's asking about helping ppl on the streets

troyboy 08-31-2011 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by speed2005 (Post 2505184)
i think he's asking about helping ppl on the streets

Perhaps i wasn't clear but I did mean offroad.