JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Write-Ups (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/)
-   -   Rock Krawler Heavy Duty Deep Sump Automatic Transmission Pan (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/rock-krawler-heavy-duty-deep-sump-automatic-transmission-pan-159779/)

wayoflife 01-18-2011 09:11 AM

Rock Krawler Heavy Duty Deep Sump Automatic Transmission Pan

http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main...._itemId=226709

While the Jeep JK Wrangler comes with great skid plate right from the factory that actually does a job of protecting your 42RLE Automatic Transmission, it does have a way of getting in the way of your drive shaft if you have a 3" or taller lift installed. Because of this problem, there are a lot of people choose to remove this skid plate but, by doing this, you leave the thin transmission sump pan dangerously exposed to rocks. For those of you who have a long arm kit installed on your JK, removing your transmission skid plate is a requirement. So, what is one to do? Well for me, I decided to get a Rock Krawler heavy duty replacement deep sump transmission pan.

Constructed out of seam welded laser cut steel featuring sides made out of 3/16" steel, a bottom that is a 1/4" thick and a puncture proof lifetime warranty, the Rock Krawler heavy duty deep sump pan is all that you’ll need to protect it from the rocks. Of course, being that this is a deep sump pan, you also get the added benefit of greater fluid capacity and this does wonders to help your transmission from running dry as is so common when operating at extreme angles.

The write-up below will show you just how easy the Rock Krawler heavy duty deep sump pan is to install on your Jeep JK Wrangler.

If you get this tranny pan (and I highly recommend you do), please be sure to say where you heard about it :cool:

burbingus 01-18-2011 01:13 PM

It looks like a great product - practically worth it for the drain plug alone! Do they have specs on the amount of extra fluid it will hold? Do they have an aftermarket skid they make for use with it?

Micah

wayoflife 01-18-2011 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by burbingus (Post 2041676)
It looks like a great product - practically worth it for the drain plug alone! Do they have specs on the amount of extra fluid it will hold? Do they have an aftermarket skid they make for use with it?

Micah

they do not have a spec on how much more it holds but i ended up adding about another quart. as far as skids go, this pan is designed so that you don't need to use a skid.

yardbird 01-18-2011 01:42 PM

Great...this forum board costs me more money every time I'm on...:)

sm_rubi 01-18-2011 02:17 PM

Bout time Eddie! Just kidding, still need mine installed before Moab so this is very timely, Thanks! :beer:

Muffins 01-19-2011 05:41 AM

This spring I will for sure be buying this when I change my trans filter and fluid. Thanks for the write-up:thumbsup:

By the way, do you think the dealership would void your transmission warranty because of this pan?

hotdogging 01-20-2011 02:31 PM

Does the pan make it easier to remove the four bolts in the back?

Thanks

MikeReo 01-20-2011 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by hotdogging (Post 2046096)

Thanks

Thats a real good question. Im guessing no. No chance of putting a hard hit on this pan and just breaking your rtv seal?

wayoflife 01-20-2011 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by sm_rubi (Post 2041806)
Bout time Eddie! Just kidding, still need mine installed before Moab so this is very timely, Thanks! :beer:

well i'm glad that i got it up then :yup:

Originally Posted by Muffins (Post 2042843)
This spring I will for sure be buying this when I change my trans filter and fluid. Thanks for the write-up:thumbsup:

By the way, do you think the dealership would void your transmission warranty because of this pan?

they shouldn't but, it really depends on your dealer.

Originally Posted by hotdogging (Post 2046096)

Thanks

no, it's still pretty hard to get to them but, now that you have a drain bolt, you won't need to get to them.

wayoflife 01-20-2011 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by MikeReo (Post 2046671)
Thats a real good question. Im guessing no. No chance of putting a hard hit on this pan and just breaking your rtv seal?

i really doubt it especially if you use a good rtv like the right stuff. but, i plan on testing it and, if it's not up to snuff, i'll be the first to let you know.