JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/)
-   -   New Fog Lights off of stock circuit (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/new-fog-lights-off-stock-circuit-4853/)

Trail Bud 03-17-2007 06:44 PM

New Fog Lights off of stock circuit

I want to replace the stock fog lights with 2 new KC 6" slimline or something similar fog lights that I install on a winch /light bar on the front bumper.
My question is what is the current stock fog light output and amperage rating?
I want to use the existing wiring and circuit. Is the circuit shared with anything else?
I haven't looked in the manual yet, not sure if it would be there.
Thanks in advance.

kaffeene 03-17-2007 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Trail Bud (Post 47423)
I want to replace the stock fog lights with 2 new KC 6" slimline or something similar fog lights that I install on a winch /light bar on the front bumper.
I want to use the existing wiring and circuit. Is the circuit shared with anything else?
Thanks in advance.

I searched but wasn't able to find any rating on the stock fogs. I don't know if its listed in the manual or printed on the fog lamps because I don't have a JK to look at. Not sure if you would want to, but if you are not able to use the factory wiring to power the KC's, you could use the factory wiring to power a relay and just run power to your fogs from the battery.

dsy 03-17-2007 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Trail Bud (Post 47423)
Thanks in advance.

The stock bulbs are 42w, when I replaced mine with 65w Narva yellowstar bulbs I had to use the factory fog lamp wiring to operate a relay. Even 55w bulbs caused the circuit breaker to trip from overload.

kaffeene 03-18-2007 03:19 AM

Hey anyway I was wondering, when do the factory fogs get turned on? Low beams, low beams and parking lights, high beams or is there a separate switch to turn them on?

CHOPPER 03-18-2007 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by kaffeene (Post 47491)
Hey anyway I was wondering, when do the factory fogs get turned on? Low beams, low beams and parking lights, high beams or is there a separate switch to turn them on?

There's a moisture sensor in the grill that lets the lighting system know when to turn them on.
Or you can turn them on manualy by having the parking lights on, and pulling the very end of the headlight switch outward away from the stearing column.

Uh...about the sensor, Just kidding:D

kaffeene 03-18-2007 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by CHOPPER (Post 47500)
There's a moisture sensor in the grill that lets the lighting system know when to turn them on.
Or you can turn them on manualy by having the parking lights on, and pulling the very end of the headlight switch outward away from the stearing column.

Uh...about the sensor, Just kidding:D

:) Yeah I didn't think the Wrangler was getting that advanced. And they've got rain sensing wipers and a soft top that closes at the first sign of a considerble drop in baromic pressure. :eek!: I wouldn't want those features ever. I like manual control. Though I do want to order the power windows in the JK, even though I never minded the manual roll up windows, but power windows is still a manually operated feature... I have to touch the switch.:D

CHOPPER 03-18-2007 04:22 AM

Actually I should note that in my '06 they work when you have only the parking lights or the low beams on.
In the JK they may not come on with just the parking lights...I don't know.
But I do know that they don't come on when the high beams are on. As a matter of fact if you have the fog lights on and you turn on the high beams, the fog lights will shut off. The're just not wired to be on with the high beams, mainly because whith the high beams on in the fog the light gets reflected back at you which is worthless in that kind of a situation.

Torrin 03-18-2007 08:32 AM

They do come on with the parking lights and lowbeam, the will not run with highbeams.

JackMac4 03-18-2007 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Torrin (Post 47588)
They do come on with the parking lights and lowbeam, the will not run with highbeams.

I wonder what needs to be done to change that.

BLKRUBI 03-18-2007 09:41 AM

I have the Mopar winch bumper and was going to cut holes on the isnide of the cans to mount fog lights for the factory look. So I would have to use foglights rated at 42w or less? I originnally planned on remounting the factory fogs, but now see that itwould be imposssible to to do that and mount a winch also so I looking for smaller, narrower aftermarket lights to fit in there.