JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   anyone do a 3.8 stroker kit? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/anyone-do-3-8-stroker-kit-249871/)

DocFuller 10-03-2012 09:22 AM

anyone do a 3.8 stroker kit?

Pondering doing this to regain power now that I'm at high altitude. '07 unlimited on 35's, manual with 4.88 gears and SC flashpaq... I prefer the low-end grunt vs. High-end HP... Maybe I do both eventually- wouldn't THAT be gnarly!

Rob50lx 10-03-2012 10:03 AM

I would not waste your time and money for a stroker kit. There is only 1 kit that I have heard of and I can't find any reviews that I would trust. The superchips programmer is not meant to be used with extensive engine mods. However, there is a decent local shop that has done custom tunes on a jk with a diablosport.

I would look into the 3 different companies that offer twin screw/roots style superchargers for more low end grunt. There is even 1 company that is local.

If money is not an object, then go with a V8 swap with a manual transmission.

Rob

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Ryan0260 10-03-2012 12:48 PM

The 3.8 is pretty much stroked from the factory. You will need forced induction or more displacement like a hemi for more power

DocFuller 10-03-2012 03:56 PM

Good info, thanks guys. Happen to remember the names of great, trusted local shops?

ICTjku 10-03-2012 04:55 PM

I despise the can't be done attitude that this subject brings out of people every time it comes up on the forum :doh: I think its a worthy challenge, it would be nice to see a thread dedicated to something more then plug in parts for this engine. I talked with a machinist about the options for the top end. I think the hard part is the bottom end, and the programing.

jaybrown 10-03-2012 05:09 PM

3.8 is already a stroker as far as I know. It's all stroked out. Lol

FlameRedJK 10-04-2012 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by jaybrown
3.8 is already a stroker as far as I know. It's all stroked out. Lol

Maybe that's why some people sag a little on one side??

DeucesALLin 10-07-2012 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by ICTjku
I despise the can't be done attitude that this subject brings out of people every time it comes up on the forum :doh: I think its a worthy challenge, it would be nice to see a thread dedicated to something more then plug in parts for this engine. I talked with a machinist about the options for the top end. I think the hard part is the bottom end, and the programing.

Stroking an engine is simple, really... especially a low reving pigs like ours! You could just have the crank offset ground and probably match it to an off the shelf rod and piston combo. As long as you use the factory crank and offset grind it for a well researched rod/piston combo you can most likely use SOMEONES oem peices or just pay for one custon peice- hopefully just some cast pistons.

Heres the thing- your gonna drop $3k for maybe 20 cubes. We get around 1wheel hp per cubic inch anyway... so unles your already rebuilding its not fiscaly responsible to me. I gave up stroking for hp when I went from big block Buicks to turbo 6s. I rather ad 80hp for $4k with forced induction via a twin screw or turbo.

DeucesALLin 10-07-2012 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by ICTjku

Custom cams are actually cheap, and if you have dyno access then you could tune one fairly easy. Probably with the factory injectors too since I assume this would be for low end power. You could probably find 30ft lbs for about $1k after a custom cam and dyno tuning.

The bottom end will just take ALOT or research and little bench racing.

DeucesALLin 10-07-2012 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by DeucesALLin

Custom cams are actually cheap, and if you have dyno access then you could tune one fairly easy. Probably with the factory injectors too since I assume this would be for low end power. You could probably find 30ft lbs for about $1k after a custom cam and dyno tuning.

The bottom end will just take ALOT or research and little bench racing.

^^^revise^^^

The torque would cost you probably 10-15 hp up top though...always a trade off.