Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True-Trac with 35's

Old 08-23-2010, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True-Trac with 35's

Anyone running Detroit True-Trac's with 35" or larger tires?

Eaton recommends 32" tires Maximum.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Lock Right by Richmond in the rear with 5.13 gear and 35's. I really like the set up you just have to get past the clicking and clacking you hear when you turn.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

the True Trac is a limited slip is it not? the bigger/heavier the tire, the less effective limited slips are. the friction material is usually not up to the task of handling big heavy tires. i'd stick with a smaller tire or wait for a full-on locker., lunchbox or selectable

no, I have no personal experience, just second-hand knowledge, so you can take my advice with a grain of salt.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fly-Attack

I put one in my Titan's D44 several months back after my OEM E-locker grenaded. The Titan has 33s. I know there are a lot of Titan owners with them in and they are running 35s. I haven't heard of any issues.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Fly-Attack

Well... I just had the Truetrac put in my rear axle. 5:13's and GoodYear 315/70r17 (measuring 33.5 inches loaded). Only had it for a week. I'll be off next week at the beach and some trails to test it out. I'm confident it will work fine.

I don't believe the Truetrac uses friction components so I don't see where they would be adversely effected by tire weight/size.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

The 32" tire limitation for the Detroit Truetrac is old product information. I have them in both axles with 35" tires and they work flawlessly. They are a very strong unit and you don't have to worry about tire size. I have put them to the test off road and I highly recommend them.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bacon
the True Trac is a limited slip is it not? the bigger/heavier the tire, the less effective limited slips are. the friction material is usually not up to the task of handling big heavy tires. i'd stick with a smaller tire or wait for a full-on locker., lunchbox or selectable

no, I have no personal experience, just second-hand knowledge, so you can take my advice with a grain of salt.
The Detroit Truetracs are worm gear driven and have no clutches to wear out. They are a very effective traction aiding device.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:38 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As others have mentioned, Truetracs are a helical gear LSD. IMO, it is the ONLY LSD you'd want in a rig that sees off road time because it doesn't have clutches to wear out (clutches will wear quickly when you lift a tire and spin it) . I've sold many of these units over the years and customers have been very happy with them as long as they don't expect them to be a locker. The additional traction they provide over stock diffs is amazing.

The 32" tire warranty is old info. IIRC it is now 38".
Old 08-24-2010, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info guys, i think i'll go this route.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jollydodger
Do YOU think they will work effectively with 38". I am sold on the idea of the Truetracs but wasn't sure if they would actually do there job with tires that big.
They'll work fine but which axle do you have? I hope you're not trying to make this work on a D30.

Quick Reply: True-Trac with 35's