Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Major issue -- ESP BAS light , ABS light and Traction control light

Old 09-28-2011, 08:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major issue -- ESP BAS light , ABS light and Traction control light

2007 wrangler unlimited sahara

About a month ago i was driving at a consistent 35mph with AC on and nice and easy. While braking i then felt as if my ABS was engaging for no reason. I was not able to stop very easily. Then the 3 lights come on and warn me. A little wile later they kick off and then the same issue happens again. This has been happening on and off ever since that day.

I brought the Jeep to the dealer yesterday and they had to fix a few recalls and replaced a wheel sensor that they said was the cause of this issue. They also told me that i need new front brake pads and rear rotors and pads ( i feel as if whenever my jeep is in the shop i all of a sudden need pads and rotors) ... i am planning on selling my jeep in 2 weeks and do not want to do the brake job. It would cost $750 at dealer. I tell them to just fix the sensor and recalls and not do the brake job.

Today i get my jeep and it is making all sorts of noise coming from the brakes...crazy squealing as if i am in desperate need of brakes. This was not the case the day before. After driving for an hour...the ABS issue happens again! so now i am pissed and not sure what to do...my wheels are making so much noise its making me sick and i dont want to do the brakes because i am selling the jeep.....

My question is.... any info on the ESP BAS issue...and what the hell did the dealer do to make my brakes go so bad like that in just one day!?? I guess i have no choice but to fix the brakes and then sell the jeep..

Also i am selling the jeep stock for $19000 firm if anyone is interested 39K miles rescue green
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	myjeep.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	216902  
Old 09-28-2011, 08:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is the steering wheel tilted to the side at all when your wheels are straight? It sounds like the problem isn't in the pads but more that you have no pads... If I understand what your saying
Old 09-28-2011, 08:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you need brakes and don't change them, you'll cause damage to the rotors. The least you can do is replace the pads, and you can ever do that yourself. Pads aren't that expensive and rotors are about $125 or so for a set the labor is where they get you.

Since you're hearing what is left of your brake pads grinding away at the rotors, i would decide pretty quickly.

The ESP, ABS, BAS lights are most likely from the wheel speed sensor, which was fixed right? The ABS may have kicked on when it sensed you hitting the brakes, and the bare metal not grabbing the rotor, mimmicking you slipping on ice / breaking traction which engages the ABS.

Selling a vehicle is easier when the buyer doesn't have to get their hands dirty right off the bat. Plus, fresh brakes are a good selling feature.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:45 AM
JK Freak

Id never pay 19k for a jeep that i know the owner neglecated. I mean whos going to pay that much for a vehicle when they look and see that you ran the brakes down past the pads into the caliper and trashed the rotors? hmmmm when was the last time you changed your oil??? 25,000 miles ago?
Old 09-29-2011, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by skippyrock
Id never pay 19k for a jeep that i know the owner neglecated. I mean whos going to pay that much for a vehicle when they look and see that you ran the brakes down past the pads into the caliper and trashed the rotors? hmmmm when was the last time you changed your oil??? 25,000 miles ago?

Never neglected...always went in for scheduled maintenance and just bought the car 1 1/2 years ago used....didnt know breaks were in such bad shape til today. just fixed the brakes and rotors today and jeep is running great... just wish they could figure out this esp bas light issue

Quick Reply: Major issue -- ESP BAS light , ABS light and Traction control light