Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Sand Flags/Trail Flags

Old 06-04-2012, 02:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Sand Flags/Trail Flags

Hi Guys,

Going to mount a sand flag on the Jeep for safety when desert driving and wanted to know if anyone had done a homemade trail flag?
What did you use for mounting/flagpole and attaching your flag onto it?
Making my own just makes more sense than buying one here for around equivelant $60! Plus... you make it yourself which is half the fun... and pride!

Cheers
Old 06-04-2012, 02:59 AM
JK Junkie

Mine was like $5 from a farm store. Just drilled a half-inch hole in my winch fairlead behind one of the rollers to mount it.

Last edited by tslewisz; 06-04-2012 at 04:55 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got a snowmoblie staff with a flag thats extends, mounted it on the spare tire carrier. When I go off-road I just extend it and it is about 6 ft. above JK. Works great. Sorry I cannot get pictures to upload.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Desert Wrangler
Hi Guys,

Going to mount a sand flag on the Jeep for safety when desert driving and wanted to know if anyone had done a homemade trail flag?
What did you use for mounting/flagpole and attaching your flag onto it?
Making my own just makes more sense than buying one here for around equivelant $60! Plus... you make it yourself which is half the fun... and pride!

Cheers
Yes, I can see that you must be on a tight budget...LOL
Old 06-05-2012, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the vendors at Dumont sold flags with all the hardware for mounting it for around $25. Check any local dirtbike shop or order one online. I'm sure u can find a premade one with all the hardware for a lot less than $60. Save ur money and go make some DIY tire deflators for less than $15...haha. Sorry I did a write up on them so I know how much pride there is when making something and sharing your idea with others.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:31 PM
JK Newbie

I used an air tool disconnect coupler mounted on the flagpole, and a male connector mounted to a cb antenna bracket on the spare tire carrier- works well. It's been a couple of years (and I've slept since then), but I'm pretty sure I got the idea here on the forum someplace. For the actual flag itself, I recommend the biggest, brightest bra you can find. Since you want to be seen, it definitely catches the eye.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:25 AM
JK Newbie

eumel789, out here even the simplest of parts have a mark up and I point blank refuse to pay (minimum) $60 for a flag plus an extra $25 for the mounting bracket. Nae about the budget, just refusal to pay that kind of money for a flag!
Thanks to the lads for the info and ideas, I'm going to have a look in the hardware stores for some materials when I get home.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Desert Wrangler
eumel789, out here even the simplest of parts have a mark up and I point blank refuse to pay (minimum) $60 for a flag plus an extra $25 for the mounting bracket. Nae about the budget, just refusal to pay that kind of money for a flag!
Thanks to the lads for the info and ideas, I'm going to have a look in the hardware stores for some materials when I get home.
Making it yourself is always better anyhoo!
Old 07-28-2018, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wapiti
I used an air tool disconnect coupler mounted on the flagpole
I know I'm resurrecting an old post, but this is GENIUS!

I found a package of assorted couplers in a bin at the hardware store for less than $5. Added a $2 L-shaped steel bracket, and a U-bolt ... and VOILA!

Trail flag, mounted to tow hook on front bumper
I also dug around the shelves in the basement for some fluorescent orange spray paint and a can of black paint ... made a stencil ... and customized the flag I picked up.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Mine is partially DIY.

The flag pole holder, I purchased for $25. It is aluminum, the flag screws into the top piece where the top piece then fits into the bottom base piece and gets held together by the pin and therefore is a quick disconnect pole mount. The part that attaches to a bolt on my AEV bumper is 1/2in channel I purchased from Home Depot, cut to length and drilled some mounting holes into.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-30-2018 at 04:15 AM.

Quick Reply: DIY Sand Flags/Trail Flags