Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

First hunt ever. Hog with 300 blackout and night vision.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First hunt ever. Hog with 300 blackout and night vision.

Hunted on a guy's 1000 acre lot. Fair price just northeast of Houston. Nice set up for a guaranteed hog. Has rams and other game too.

This was my first hunt ever. Went and bonded with the brother in law. I brought my new 300 blackout (unsuppressed, still waiting for nfa trust), 125 grain Remington accutip. Shot with pulsar n550 night vision scope/camera at about 60 yards. Bullent went through both lungs but missed the heart so I put a hollow point in her head.

Amazing experience. Nice to have the jeep out there, great company, and good people. Harvested some good meat, now on ice water bath with some vinegar and lemon juice for the day before the BBQ tomorrow.

Thought I'd share. Next time I'll see if I can hook up the video out on the scope to record.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1998292985.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	357935  

Last edited by cosmokramer; 08-25-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do miss hog hunting in GA and AL. I was never all buck rogers though haha. It's a lot of fun, especially when you come across a big group, thank god for semi-automatic
Old 08-25-2012, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Where were you hunting at?
Old 08-25-2012, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like you had a blast.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Hog wild adventures

I went to Hog Wild Adventures in Kingwood. His webpage (first one that comes up in google under hog wild adventures) is pretty minimal compared to some others, but the place is awesome. Definitely had large boars and huge sows, but I went for a medium sized one for some good eatin meat and didn't want to waste it either. Plus it was my first hunt, so I just concentrated on getting as clean of a shot as possible so when this one turned broad side I took my time and took the shot.

Even during the day you can see hundreds of hogs there, but for me, it was going to be too hot, and we wanted to try night hunting. They are there and plentiful. Great place to start out.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:41 AM
JK Freak

Sounds awesome. Did you use dogs or were you in a stand?
Old 08-25-2012, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice. I got these last week! put a couple bottles of vinegar and one blended pineapple per pig.. Good food.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3356304338.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	358057  
Old 08-29-2012, 11:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cosmokramer
Hunted on a guy's 1000 acre lot. Fair price just northeast of Houston. Nice set up for a guaranteed hog. Has rams and other game too.

This was my first hunt ever. Went and bonded with the brother in law. I brought my new 300 blackout (unsuppressed, still waiting for nfa trust), 125 grain Remington accutip. Shot with pulsar n550 night vision scope/camera at about 60 yards. Bullent went through both lungs but missed the heart so I put a hollow point in her head.

Amazing experience. Nice to have the jeep out there, great company, and good people. Harvested some good meat, now on ice water bath with some vinegar and lemon juice for the day before the BBQ tomorrow.

Thought I'd share. Next time I'll see if I can hook up the video out on the scope to record.
Nice rifle you have on your scope there I kid, just jealous because I don't have night vision Nice looking hog too, bet it was good.

ETA: I've got 200 rounds of subsonic 230g sitting in the stockpile but no .300 upper to shoot them from
Old 09-01-2012, 05:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mat, no blind. The guy kinda sets you up in an area where there are going to be hog activity, and we scouted out a bit then set up.
Indy, nice hogs! Now that we have some experience, I hope to match yours. Great pic.
Valkyrie, yeah it's huge for sure. But it's a semi affordable option for night vision. I love it. If you end up getting 300 blackout, you'll like the community. So far a lot of enthusiasm about it, and it's fun. It's supposed to shine when it gets suppressed, and I hope for me that will be soon.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its great to see the 300AAC at work. Not surprised it went completely through. What did the other side look like? Big exit wound? What did you use for your final kill shot?

Quick Reply: First hunt ever. Hog with 300 blackout and night vision.