Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Delta Fog Light JK Upgrade Question

Old 06-05-2008, 12:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delta Fog Light JK Upgrade Question

I just received my Delta Bumper fog light upgrade and there is a wiring harness & a switch with it. Do I really need to use the wiring harness that it came with or could I use the stock system and just plug the thing up? I would really like to keep the system the way it is.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

If the stock harness plugs right into the new lights and if the new and stock lights are the same wattage, there would be no need to use an additional switch and wiring harness. That harness and switch was probably provided for those that did not have the stock fog lights to begin with.

I am trying to figure out what the wattage is for the stock fog lights. I'd order these if I could use the factory fog light switch and not the one included in the kit. . . . .

Last edited by Yucca Patrol; 06-05-2008 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:09 AM
JK Newbie

They look cool and I have a front skid plate that I would need to take off. Looks like I will do this in about a weeks time. I will install them when my True Flow XDI intake comes in.
Thanks... I am going to try and find out the wattage, also.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:26 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Edited after the fact.
I looked at Quadratec's site and i think from what i am reading you purchased the replacement lights that go into the stock bumper?

According to that page they arre 55 watt, so as is stated above (and quoted below by Yucca), you likely are ok without the harness/switch/relay they included. If they trip out, or dont work, you may need to use it. If it was me, id try it first, and if it works without additional wiring, that is a good thing

Let us know!

Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
If the stock harness plugs right into the new lights and if the new and stock lights are the same wattage, there would be no need to use an additional switch and wiring harness. That harness and switch was probably provided for those that did not have the stock fog lights to begin with.

I am trying to figure out what the wattage is for the stock fog lights. I'd order these if I could use the factory fog light switch and not the one included in the kit. . . . .
It is a good idea, if the wattage is the same, however, if it is not:

This will only work with the same wattage bulbs as those from the factory.

You cannot use the factory fog light harness alone to power up higher wattage lights, you'll trip the circuit. If you use an aftermarket light, it must be the same or less wattage as the factory fog light for you to wire to the existing harness for power. (i believe it is 55W maximum, someone correct me please if i am wrong)

That being said, you CAN however, use the power wire from the factory fogs to trip a relay that sends power to higher wattage lights. This is exactly what i did. I added KC fog lights in lieu of the stockers, and tapped the power lead for the stock passenger front fog light to trip the relay for the KC's. This way they work with the factory stalk switch.

That was my response in this thread, other good info there as well: Fog Light Wiring Help

This is how i wired mine in:

For the passenger side H10 fog light socket, i had a burned out bulb, so i clipped off the prongs that held the glass bulb on, and the little wires under it, soldered a lead to the "hot" prong inside the plug/light base, then filled it solid with RTV. That wire i used as the trip for the foglight relay. I turn on the factory fog switch, it fires the relay from the foglight kit, and the lights go on just like the stock ones did. That way it plugs into the factory harness without splicing, i simply used the factory plug. Then if i decide to pull them off, it is an easy disconnect, and my wiring is still factory stock. I just taped the other socket off.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 06-06-2008 at 04:47 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

HappyCurmudgeon,

Thanks for the MUCH more detailed description and diagrams. I'm no electrician but I've learned two things about automotive electronics over the years:

1) The wiring harness doesn't know what kind of bulbs it is powering, only the wattage

2) If you ask your friend to reconnect the battery on a Land Rover Defender 90 and he does it backwards and then you try to start the engine, you get a very impressive one-time-only smoke screen

After learning a few things like this over the years, I have decided that any and all aftermarket electronics are going to be COMPLETELY isolated from stock vehicle systems. I'll add a small auxillary fuse box and run everything off of it.

Last edited by Yucca Patrol; 06-06-2008 at 06:15 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:28 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
HappyCurmudgeon,

Thanks for the MUCH more detailed description and diagrams. I'm no electrician but I've learned two things about automotive electronics over the years:

1) The wiring harness doesn't know what kind of bulbs it is powering, only the wattage

2) If you ask your friend to reconnect the battery on a Land Rover Defender 90 and he does it backwards and then you try to start the engine, you get a very impressive one-time-only smoke screen

After learning a few things like this over the years, I have decided that any and all aftermarket electronics are going to be COMPLETELY isolated from stock vehicle systems. I'll add a small auxillary fuse box and run everything off of it.

Addendum to #2: The Blue smoke is much harder to get back into the electronics after you let it out, than the white stuff is.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

And bottles of blue smoke are so expensive and rare that it is just easier to start all over with a brand new wiring harness. . . . . .
Old 06-06-2008, 07:30 AM
Eternal ***erator

just make sure you keep the ends taped when your installing, so all the 'lil electrons dont roll out.

~although it is amusing if the cat steps on them....
Old 06-06-2008, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all of the help. I will try the stock wiring harness first. I will let you know what color smoke come out. I hope not blue. I can not afford blue smoke.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:19 PM
JK Newbie

Default They Work!!!

Well, after getting some stomach thing and then strep throat, I finally installed the Delta Fogs. What a time that was. Really, the bumper has to come all the way off (along with the skid plate I installed). I am really glad that I have a neighbor that knows his way around Jeeps. I owe him a lot for all of the assistance he has provided in my Jeep mod endeavors. I could not have done the install without him or all of your posts. HappyCormudgeon is correct about the wiring. My friend and I used his supplied diagram. My friend used the wiring harness supplied from Delta because of the voltage difference (the stock relay kept locking out). The stock wattage is 42 Watts and the Delta Fogs are 55 Watts. Then using the relay on (blue wire) from the Delta harness to the power from the left stock harness. Works great. The Deltas are very white and very bright. Really a good product but do not waist your time with the stock harness for plug and play. Use the Delta supplied harness and the left power of the stock harness for the relay on. There is one major drawback, my headlights are very dim and very yellow. They looked great before I changed the fogs...lol Any suggestions on what to use to bring my headlights up to par? Thanks everyone for the help. Oh, and there was no smoke. I forgot to buy some, sorry.

Quick Reply: Delta Fog Light JK Upgrade Question