Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

SPAL Fan install

Old 07-02-2009, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seer1
Hey TK, you have the Aeroforce, are you seing any lower temperatures with the SPAL? We're still trying to figure out the CFM thing in our war with high temperatures.
the temps were the same with the Spal fan, then I lowered the fan turn on temps with the superchips which do keep it a lot cooler around town, I'm still having trouble on steep mountain roads though, like 8% grade I went up couple days ago,it went up to 233. I had the trouble once before the spal fan so I know its not that, I've cleaned my radiator out really good, I have the griffin radiator also, dont know wth it is, I'm going to try and flush the system next. I did mix non Hoat antifreeze in when I put in my rad last year, jeep says not to do it, prestone says its fine

what temps you running?
Old 07-02-2009, 09:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just read through this whole thread, gonna order mine today. with regards to all the do i or don't i need a switch for the waterproof fan, the answer is yes, its a good idea. turn it off while you go through or get stuck in mud, this will keep it from blowing mud into your radiator. once it gets caked in there it will be harder for it to cool down. i finally killed my motor this past Sunday and when i got home and got everything taken apart the back side of the radiator was packed with mud from being blown in by the fan.

hope this helps

edit: just went to their site and put in the part number and nothing comes up. which one is it?

Last edited by JdTms11; 07-02-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JdTms11
just read through this whole thread, gonna order mine today. with regards to all the do i or don't i need a switch for the waterproof fan, the answer is yes, its a good idea. turn it off while you go through or get stuck in mud, this will keep it from blowing mud into your radiator. once it gets caked in there it will be harder for it to cool down. i finally killed my motor this past Sunday and when i got home and got everything taken apart the back side of the radiator was packed with mud from being blown in by the fan.

hope this helps

edit: just went to their site and put in the part number and nothing comes up. which one is it?
the fan doesnt blow mud in, its a puller fan, so its pulling air thru from the front of the radiator. I've been thru a ton of mud and havent really had the front of the rad caked with mud. I think its just the shroud that holds the mud

search ebay if you want for spal fan 30102082, it used to be on spals site but its not anymore and besides its 114 on ebay verse 172 on spal

and add your dead fan to this pole https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/fan-motors-who-has-killed-theirs-61335/

Last edited by tkob1060; 07-02-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:30 PM
JK Freak

MAJOR PROBLEM/UPDATE HERE.....I'VE HAD MY FAN IN NOW FOR ALMOST 7,000MILES AND WELL TODAY IT BLEW THE FUSE, so then I replaced it and the wires from the spal motor started melting, not sure what the problem is but my spal motor is screwed. I am going to contact the spal engineeer I was talking to. I think the wiring was 16gauge, the stock wiring was 12 I think it was a lot thicker either way. Not sure what the trouble, I am really bummed because I am supposed to wheel this weekend and now have no water proof fan and no spare fan

Old 07-10-2009, 08:53 AM
JK Super Freak

damn that sucks.let us know as son as you find out from them. i just got mine in yesterday, not something i wanted to see.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know I'm bringing this thread back to life, but I wanted to add something to it in case anyone out there encountered the same problem I had after the install.

I used this Spal fan after mud had taken my factory fan.

After the install I realized that the fan was not turning on under the low speed fan conditions (temp, a/c activation). It would only turn on at the high speed fan condition (when temp hit 215 Degrees). Well after checking my fuses, relays and wiring a bunch of times, I just fixed my problem. It turns out that when the fan crapped out it also shorted out the green resistor pack that is on the shroud. I just replaced it and now the Spal works just like the factory fan does.

I used this part number for the resistor pack on my 2011 Rubicon #68026780AA It was listed as Fan Wiring or something like that.

The dealer actually had 2 different part numbers and it would depend on your VIN.

Here they are:
#55056789AC
#68026780AA

I hope that helps others out there.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Puddingpants
I know I'm bringing this thread back to life, but I wanted to add something to it in case anyone out there encountered the same problem I had after the install.

I used this Spal fan after mud had taken my factory fan.

After the install I realized that the fan was not turning on under the low speed fan conditions (temp, a/c activation). It would only turn on at the high speed fan condition (when temp hit 215 Degrees). Well after checking my fuses, relays and wiring a bunch of times, I just fixed my problem. It turns out that when the fan crapped out it also shorted out the green resistor pack that is on the shroud. I just replaced it and now the Spal works just like the factory fan does.

I used this part number for the resistor pack on my 2011 Rubicon #68026780AA It was listed as Fan Wiring or something like that.

The dealer actually had 2 different part numbers and it would depend on your VIN.

Here they are:
#55056789AC
#68026780AA

I hope that helps others out there.

Was it hard to swap the resistor pack? Im just about to order my fan so I will get a resistor pack just in case. Thanks for the heads up !
Old 03-14-2012, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by richor
Was it hard to swap the resistor pack? Im just about to order my fan so I will get a resistor pack just in case. Thanks for the heads up !
Not at all. Its attached to the fan shroud with 1 bolt. Just unplug the harness, unbolt and replace.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:53 PM
JK Newbie

Ok I got it all working, thanks for the write up.

Only thing really missing front the write up was the 3 plastic clips holding the fan shroud in place, very easy to access from under the jeep!

Expanding foam worked great too
Old 04-09-2012, 08:59 PM
JK Newbie

Oh and my fan turns on with ac activations when the jeeps cold, I'm assuming that means my low speed is working ?

Quick Reply: SPAL Fan install