Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Radio with Bluetooth for the non-audiophiles...

Old 04-03-2012, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio with Bluetooth for the non-audiophiles...

Let me start off my saying that I am not an audiophile. Most of my radio listening is AM talk radio and Sirius/XM Talk stations. Overall, I am extremely happy with my stock 130 RES radio with the stock sub-woofer. The only feature I wish I had gotten with it was the uConnect to allow for connectivity to my BlackBerry via Bluetooth. In fact, the lack of that feature drives me NUTS. The little amount of music I do listen to is usually via my BB through the aux input. I hate messing with the cables and also HATE not being able to use the telephone features.

I know of two options to achieve what I am looking for: A) Purchase an aftermarket uConnect kit for the 130 RES; B) Purchase an aftermarket head unit. Each option seems to have advantages and disadvantages to it.

For option A, there is the EXTREMELY high cost of the uConnect ($230 is more than a complete head unit with Bluetooth) and having to bring my Jeep into the dealership in hope they will willingly update my codes to allow the feature without an extra charge. Of course the advantage to this is that I don't have the same theft concerns I would with an aftermarket head unit, I don't have to worry about the computer interface and issues with codes, and everything else will work the same as it has since purchase.

For option B, there is the cost of the head unit (~$160 to $230), the harness ($150?), an external Sirius/XM receiver ($65?), and possible compatibility issues with my speakers and the computer interface. In the advantages column, from what I have seen, most of the aftermarket head units out perform the stock 130 RES with little effort. In addition, the features available (such as USB) sure would be nice.

So, my questions for the group are:
A) Have I missed another option?
B) For someone with my needs, what is the best path?

NOTE: I am not in the position to plop out $1,000 for a new sound system.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I put the u-connect blue-tooth in my Jeep Unlimited. It works just "OK". voice quality not very good and with the soft top, picks up a lot of background noise. I have to repeat myself a lot. The voice recocognition for hands free use quite frankly sucks. I have an I-phone so don't know if you can play music over it. (Why won't the Iphone broadcast over blue-tooth?) The only advantage to the u-connect is that it looks stock. If you want functionality, go for the aftermarket head unit.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by _Jedi_
Let me start off my saying that I am not an audiophile. Most of my radio listening is AM talk radio and Sirius/XM Talk stations. Overall, I am extremely happy with my stock 130 RES radio with the stock sub-woofer. The only feature I wish I had gotten with it was the uConnect to allow for connectivity to my BlackBerry via Bluetooth. In fact, the lack of that feature drives me NUTS. The little amount of music I do listen to is usually via my BB through the aux input. I hate messing with the cables and also HATE not being able to use the telephone features.

I know of two options to achieve what I am looking for: A) Purchase an aftermarket uConnect kit for the 130 RES; B) Purchase an aftermarket head unit. Each option seems to have advantages and disadvantages to it.

For option A, there is the EXTREMELY high cost of the uConnect ($230 is more than a complete head unit with Bluetooth) and having to bring my Jeep into the dealership in hope they will willingly update my codes to allow the feature without an extra charge. Of course the advantage to this is that I don't have the same theft concerns I would with an aftermarket head unit, I don't have to worry about the computer interface and issues with codes, and everything else will work the same as it has since purchase.

For option B, there is the cost of the head unit (~$160 to $230), the harness ($150?), an external Sirius/XM receiver ($65?), and possible compatibility issues with my speakers and the computer interface. In the advantages column, from what I have seen, most of the aftermarket head units out perform the stock 130 RES with little effort. In addition, the features available (such as USB) sure would be nice.

So, my questions for the group are:
A) Have I missed another option?
B) For someone with my needs, what is the best path?

NOTE: I am not in the position to plop out $1,000 for a new sound system.
If the music doesn't stir your soul. Then just buy the module. That route would be cheaper in the long run.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drschem
I put the u-connect blue-tooth in my Jeep Unlimited. It works just "OK". voice quality not very good and with the soft top, picks up a lot of background noise. I have to repeat myself a lot. The voice recocognition for hands free use quite frankly sucks. I have an I-phone so don't know if you can play music over it. (Why won't the Iphone broadcast over blue-tooth?) The only advantage to the u-connect is that it looks stock. If you want functionality, go for the aftermarket head unit.
My uconnect on my 2011 works perfect and had none of the issue you described, there was a software update for mine however,
Old 04-03-2012, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drschem
I would have to disagree as well. I have the full connectivity group and it works flawlessly. I have had none of your problems either. Bluetooth works, usb connect works, voice command works and dialing my iPhone works.

Have you made sure your iPhone is up-to-date?
Old 04-03-2012, 12:50 PM
biv
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Noxian

My uconnect on my 2011 works perfect and had none of the issue you described, there was a software update for mine however,
I think what's he's saying is it doesn't work well due to the softwood. I need to get BT system also but if it works like most of the add on systems out there, they don't pick up much more than road noise with my soft top up or down.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have read that the Pioneer non-nav DVD systems with BT work well.

The latest model is here: ht tp://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/DVD-Receivers/AVH-P2400BT

But if you look around you can find the earlier versions for pretty cheap!

Quick Reply: Radio with Bluetooth for the non-audiophiles...