Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Changing Manual Transmission Fluid through fill hole?

Old 09-07-2009, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Manual Transmission Fluid through fill hole?

Hey guys,

Looking for an easy way to change the transmission fluid for my 30k service. With my exhaust and skidplate in the way of the drain, I have a PIA project to access the drain and no tools to make a nifty drain remover tool like I see in the writeups.

So, why not pump out the fluid through the fill plug and then pump in fresh fluid? I heard some high end cars change their oil this way. This would avoid the huge project, but is it any good. Or do I need to drain to get any benefit?

I got a penzoil siphon pump(with a small enough tube to fit in the fill hole of the transmission) and another pump to fill her back up once empty, but I'm still worried if it's actually an effective transmission fluid change this way.

Any experienced thoughts?

EDIT:

This is the siphon pump/tube thing I bought to pump out the old transmission fluid:

Last edited by BrettDez; 09-07-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default hmmmm

i think you would want to clean the magnet...........
Old 09-07-2009, 10:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A) You won't get it all out
B) You can't clean the magnet on the drain plug

Other than that its better than nothing. I don't see how the fluid change is a "huge project" either. Took just a couple minutes for mine.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Like I said, I cannot access the drain plug without removing my skid plates and lowering the exhaust. That's the big project.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:10 AM
JK Junkie

Do you have aftermarket skids and exhaust? I sure didn't remove anything from my stock skid/stock exhaust 2door. I took the two nuts off the rear trans mount and jacked the trans up some to access the drain plug. Some wrap/plastic over the exhaust will keep the fluid from smoking off the exhaust on startup...unless you have aftermarket stuff, there is a write up on it.

It is not a big project if you're stock down there..
Old 09-07-2009, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I do have an aftermarket skid plate(saved me countless times now too), but I have the stock exhaust.

The skid plate is the main thing, because it's in the way of jacking the transmission higher and the bolts holding on the skidplate are not recessed enough and rocks have done a number on the heads, so I'm hesitant to tackle the damaged bolt head issue to remove it. I know I can get the bolts off, just don't want to go through all that hassle unless I have to.

1st Attempt:

Well, I went with a vaccuum evacuator instead of that siphon tube setup to draw the oil out. And I did not have the success I wanted. I drew out what I figured was alot of oil and no matter how I angled the tubing I could not draw out anymore transmission oil. So, I figured I got pretty much all of it. Then when I went to add in the royal purple fluid, I found that my transmission was full after only about 1.3 quarts being addded. Meaning about .7 or .8 quarts of the old stuff was still in there, DAMN!

In other news, the transfer case fluid change went perfect.
*grumble*stupid transmission*grumble*

I guess my next step is to remove the skidplate and jack up the transmission...save that for another day, got some errands to run now.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BrettDez
Well, I do have an aftermarket skid plate(saved me countless times now too), but I have the stock exhaust.

The skid plate is the main thing, because it's in the way of jacking the transmission higher and the bolts holding on the skidplate are not recessed enough and rocks have done a number on the heads, so I'm hesitant to tackle the damaged bolt head issue to remove it. I know I can get the bolts off, just don't want to go through all that hassle unless I have to.

1st Attempt:

Well, I went with a vaccuum evacuator instead of that siphon tube setup to draw the oil out. And I did not have the success I wanted. I drew out what I figured was alot of oil and no matter how I angled the tubing I could not draw out anymore transmission oil. So, I figured I got pretty much all of it. Then when I went to add in the royal purple fluid, I found that my transmission was full after only about 1.3 quarts being addded. Meaning about .7 or .8 quarts of the old stuff was still in there, DAMN!

In other news, the transfer case fluid change went perfect.
*grumble*stupid transmission*grumble*

I guess my next step is to remove the skidplate and jack up the transmission...save that for another day, got some errands to run now.
Don't be too concerned man the manual tranny only takes 3.2 pints or 1.6 quarts to fill.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How did the oil you took out look? feel? smell?

Shouldn't be too bad at 30k unless you're towing or something. Would have been nice to see the magnet. Unless the oil you removed was really bad, you are probably OK until at least 60k. just drop the skid etc., then
Old 09-07-2009, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

The oil looked a little dark. As far as strain? I've towed a uhaul trailor when moving from NY to SC and a small utility trailer on a camping trip, but that's the only 2 times towing(unless you count all the vehicle recoveries performed, lol). The other two moves(back up to upstate NY and accross the country to WA) I didn't tow. However, she has seen EXTENSIVE trail absuse on trails accross the country(only across the country because the navy moves me around. not my own trips, lol). We're talking ALOT of trail miles. That's where I expected to see more wear and tear on the transmission.

When I do the more thorough drain and I can get a look at the magnetic drain plug, I'll post a pic of it.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:15 PM
JK Junkie

be happy you dont have an auto trans.. we have to remove skids, the maybe 12 bolts holding the pan on (3 of which are a bear) drop pan, clean it, replace filter, remove old gasket, make/install new gasket, replace pan, cross tighten/torque bolts, replace skid, refill tranny...

be happy with your manual

Quick Reply: Changing Manual Transmission Fluid through fill hole?