Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft top wear spot by header

Old 08-13-2009, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunrider top wear through by latch/header - PICS added

I searched but couldn't find anyone with this problem so I'm wondering if I'm the only one... I've got the sunrunner soft top setup and I like run with it flipped back (not completely lower it) and straped down like the manual shows. I just put it up today and noticed there is a wear spot that it darn near through the top right at where the header panel curves back forward - anyone else have this problem? What did the dealer do (I'm guessing replace the canvas?)

I'm guessing the fabric is moving in the wind and rubbing against the sharp edge (and it's real sharp actually when I felt it) If I leave it much longer I'll have a hole in a top that's just over a year old!

Last edited by bwiencek; 08-14-2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 08-13-2009, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's the Jeep Soft Top Video that I use. It's GREAT! Just click the "PLAY" button in the middle of the screen. Are you folding the Soft Top material into a "W"? That might be your problem with the rubbing.

JEEP SOFT TOP VIDEO link!

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB
Old 08-13-2009, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I do it just like they show - It's folded in a "W" pattern and I strap it down every time - if I don't then it starts to flap around abotu 60-65 MPH (did that the first time - flipped it back on a whim and had to drive slower to get it to stop until I got to where I could strap it down...)
Old 08-13-2009, 08:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bwiencek
I searched but couldn't find anyone with this problem so I'm wondering if I'm the only one... I've got the sunrunner soft top setup and I like run with it flipped back (not completely lower it) and straped down like the manual shows. I just put it up today and noticed there is a wear spot that it darn near through the top right at where the header panel curves back forward - anyone else have this problem? What did the dealer do (I'm guessing replace the canvas?)

I'm guessing the fabric is moving in the wind and rubbing against the sharp edge (and it's real sharp actually when I felt it) If I leave it much longer I'll have a hole in a top that's just over a year old!
can you take a pic. i'm not sure where you mean but i think i have the same thing happenin.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hbomb
can you take a pic. i'm not sure where you mean but i think i have the same thing happenin.
I'll try and take a cell phone pic at lunch - if it shows up I'll post it - otherwise it might be tomorrow morning before I can get one...

It's right by the bar that holds the latches - if you follow the plastic cover for the header it curves back 'thinner' after the latches and towards the center of the vehicle. I think a pic will explain it better...
Old 08-13-2009, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hbomb
Links to pics - since they're a little large - sorry about the cell phone quality...

Top Pic 1

Top Pic 1

Top Pic 1

If this works:

Old 08-16-2009, 09:01 PM
JK Newbie

I also have the same wear areas (both sides)
Old 08-17-2009, 03:17 AM
JK Newbie

Glad i just saw this post. I have the same wear marks and was going to call the dealer this week to get it looked at.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mvlakejeeper
I also have the same wear areas (both sides)
Originally Posted by JDRambo
Glad i just saw this post. I have the same wear marks and was going to call the dealer this week to get it looked at.
Yeah - I wonder what they're going to do when all these jeeps start showing up for soft top replacements
Old 08-19-2009, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine is wearing in the corners. Where the top meets the plastic corner cover on the windshield. I have about 5 holes from the corners of the cover. Im going to try to get to the dealer to see if its under warranty.

I meant the corner of the header not the piece on the windshield.

Last edited by abock33; 08-19-2009 at 10:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Soft top wear spot by header