Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Project 5.3 ls1 in Jeep JK... need help!

Old 09-20-2009, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project 5.3 ls1 in Jeep JK... need help!

Hi guys, so ive decided to put a 5.3 pullout froma 2004 subarban into my jeep jk.... i already have the the engine, transmission, PCM and wiring harness and have done loads of research but there is no info out there for LS1/JK combo... my parts from novak will be arriving next week.. so the project will be starting then, i will post loads of pic, anyways i have already choosen my fuel system and cooling system, but i still need help with the wiring harness and guage cluster, i plan on gutting the stock wiring harness and using stock GM guage cluster.... i will also need some help in figuring out how how to deal with the jk wiring harness!, so let me start with my questions....

if i remove the JK wiring harness and PCM will i still be able to use my headlights,wipers, fogs?
i plan on keeping the stock JK fuse box and splicing wires to connecting GM PCM wires to it , is that ok?
i will be dropping the fuel tank to install a walbro255 intank fuel pump, how hard will that be?

any more info is greatly appretiated!!!!

and so it begins....

pic of engine to get you guys started

I WILL BE POSTING ALL UPDATED PICS IN THIS POST

UPDATE: 4/10/2009 i have recieved my parts from novak and Tranny is on its way to get new putput shaft bolted in

Old stuff out

Tranny output shaft changed

progress is kinda slow i know but i finally got to engine where i want it.. yay

Last edited by SLeepY_BoY; 10-11-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:12 PM
JK Super Freak

this is gonna be good, ive been waiting for someone to do an ls swap
Old 09-20-2009, 12:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its going to be a lot of work, but should pay off in the end. Lot more power than stock, and you should retain same, or possibly better fuel economy. Most chevy trucks with that engine manage 20-21mpg HWY.

You may just end up having to rewire a lot of the accessories. The JK fuse box should be usable, you are just going to have to do a fair amount of wiring.
Isnt the stock fuel pump in the tank?

What transmission are you going to use?
Old 09-20-2009, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

im going to be using a 4l60e tranny, yes the stock fuel pump is intank, i will be replacing it with a walbro unit
Old 09-21-2009, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think Off Road Evolution did a blown LS swap into a JK. Might want to contact them.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good luck with the swap! When you get around to making the custom engine mounts, be sure to keep the pattern. I'm sure there will be others down the road who would like to do the same thing.

When I get rich and famous, I might try to put in a nice little LS7 into my JK....
Old 09-21-2009, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

You might contact Jared at Current Performance. He specializes in LS based swaps. He build my harness for my LS1 s10. His harnesses are flawless.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice project!!!!
Old 09-21-2009, 09:49 AM
JK Junkie

Sounds cool, look forward to watching your progress on this....I think your electrical will be the biggest obsticle for you....good luck...what are the miles on that 5.3?
Old 09-21-2009, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

hi guys, im going shopping tommorow, for some misc parts, GM guage cluster and a few missing sensors on my engine, does anyone know if the speedo in the jk is mechanical or electcal?

im also going to check how much of my JK is controled by the PCM.... ill keep you guys posted.... pics will be up as soon as i get my stuff from novak by next week hopefully...... i will also try to document all prices of parts in this build.....

im thinking of running the JK with only GM pcm..... i hope HP tuner will make my life a little easier....

Quick Reply: Project 5.3 ls1 in Jeep JK... need help!