Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.
View Poll Results: Would you collaborate on an offroad technique database with descriptions,videos,etc?
Yes - I think it would be useful
89.47%
No - Waste of time. Just go out and mess with it...
10.53%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Off road Techniques 101 - Index thread? Maybe a different type of posting them?

Old 09-20-2009, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Off road Techniques 101 - Index thread? Maybe a different type of posting them?

Guys,

Being new to wheeling I've found this site and its people to be one of the greatest resources out there.

That being said, I haven't really found an Offroad Techniques 101 index or something similar. (You know, the JK Writeup folder has it).

It will have to be something like the great writeups that you can find here: Title, description, pictures and maybe a some videos as well.

Some things that I would like to know:

- Types of trails: Again, descriptions, pics, videos.
- Techniques to use 4HI, 4LO. How to handle the clutch if you have a stick, or the skinny if you have an auto?
- When do you use lockers? Again, maybe show the obstacle, trying to pass it without lockers, then showing the right way to do it with lockers.
- How do you winch? What are the accessories you need to have? How do you use them?
- How do you go over a rock? What do you need to make sure you'll make it?
- How do you cross a small river safely?
- How do you use your HiLift? What are the spots that you should be lifting when you need to change a tire? What if you have an aftermarket bumper?

I practice mountain biking, and the team that I belong to has some helmet cameras. Needless to say it has been a great way to learn the sport: You see what the other person is seeing, how they tacked the obstacle or what they did that was a mistake.

That way, when you find yourself in a similar situation, you even have the visual and already have a way to face it and resolve it...

Any comments on this? Maybe some of the senior users or moderators want to go ahead and jump to this?

Does this make any sense at all? (Please answer the poll)

Thanks again for your help!

Hans
Old 09-21-2009, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think it would be a great idea. I hope it comes to fruition. I am not new to 4wds, but I have never been on some of the types of terrain that some of you guys have (rocks, mostly). We have plenty of mud and hills around here, but not a lot of the types of terrain you see out west. I would love to learn something new.

Good idea IMO.

Jason
Old 10-16-2009, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This would definately be helpful. I've been scowering for good info on how to drive in different situations and recovery situations, with not to many good sources coming up. I know experience is key, but knowledge makes a huge difference too!
Old 10-16-2009, 01:24 PM
JK Jedi

Something of this nature would definitely add to the wealth of information already on the forum and make it a lot easier for folks like myself that are new to off-roading. Sure, common sense helps, but also knowing from people that've done this, and knowing the right way from the wrong way of doing something will go a long way in building the experience up. I'd definitely love to see this materialize
Old 10-16-2009, 10:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I have found this site to be a pretty good starting point.

Some areas go way beyond what I'm looking for, but in general it's been a good overall for lots of topics.
http://w ww.4x4now.com/4wht.htm

Last edited by Piginajeep; 10-17-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

ya it will def be usefull. especially with the hi lift and proper winching stuff
Old 10-17-2009, 09:00 AM
JK Freak

I think having a database like this would be beneficial for those starting in our sport. Our database would be that much better as some tips would be vehicle specific.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Helmet cameras for everyone!
Old 10-19-2009, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

It sounds like a good idea except off road there are so many variables. It's not always the same technique used to negotiate a specific obstacle, and the difference in wheelbases will also change the way you approach and negotiate an obstacle.

Best bet is to get involved in a local club and get hands on experience. It's even better if you have an Unlimited to find other Unlimited owners to learn the techniques for your longer wheelbase. Most SWB owners will use a completely different line and technique than LWB owners will on technical obstacles.

Find a club or get involved in organized events in your area before you just blindly follow someone elses "write up".
Old 10-23-2009, 06:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by UnlmtdJKRubi
Find a club or get involved in organized events in your area before you just blindly follow someone elses "write up".
X2 the best thing you can find is an "old timer" that's been wheeling for years, that advice goes for a lot of things except maybe computers and iPod's

Quick Reply: Off road Techniques 101 - Index thread? Maybe a different type of posting them?