Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Stupid deer in the road! First one in a long time....

Old 10-12-2009, 09:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid deer in the road! First one in a long time....

So today on the way to work I was lucky enough to hit a large deer, luckily I had the LoD mid width front, not even a scratch on the bumper (now with some blood, cool), but the deer took out both of my IPF fog lights on the winch hoop and cracked up the passenger fender flare. I also slightly pushed in the passenger side fender so it bumps out slightly right at the center of the front wheel.

Question for you guys - I had already planned on getting the flat black flares for my Sahara and I can replace the fogs no problem, should I claim it on insurance and get the fender fixed or should I put a sticker over it and wait until I screw it up worse offroading. I could probably push it in slightly and make it even less noticable, but I'm worried that it looks like there are a couple of cracks in the paint and I hate rust, but I could also fix that later. My deductible is 1K and that could go towards my lift instead of the stupid fender. What do you guys think? Anyone else have a messed up fender? Post pics to make me feel better, I'll try to get some up tonight.

Oh well, at least no one was hurt.

Here are the pictures posted again in case you don't want to go to the end of the thread:

You can see some of the cracks in the fender flare too

The side marker light was cracked

My poor foglights

Last edited by Muffins; 10-18-2009 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:08 AM
JK Super Freak

If you are sure there isn't any other damage that you can't see further inside, then I would just roll with it and save a claim for something more serious.
A few minor battle scars aren't really a bad thing, especially when you can say it was from whacking a deer and not a shopping cart.
Just my .02

Just add a little deer sticker to the side of the Jeep, like they do on aircraft for number of planes shot down.

Last edited by horwitzs; 10-12-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by absoluttorque
So today on the way to work I was lucky enough to hit a large deer, luckily I had the LoD mid width front, not even a scratch on the bumper (now with some blood, cool), but the deer took out both of my IPF fog lights on the winch hoop and cracked up the passenger fender flare. I also slightly pushed in the passenger side fender so it bumps out slightly right at the center of the front wheel.

Question for you guys - I had already planned on getting the flat black flares for my Sahara and I can replace the fogs no problem, should I claim it on insurance and get the fender fixed or should I put a sticker over it and wait until I screw it up worse offroading. I could probably push it in slightly and make it even less noticable, but I'm worried that it looks like there are a couple of cracks in the paint and I hate rust, but I could also fix that later. My deductible is 1K and that could go towards my lift instead of the stupid fender. What do you guys think? Anyone else have a messed up fender? Post pics to make me feel better, I'll try to get some up tonight.

Oh well, at least no one was hurt.
Did you get a police report,take pic of the blood ,evidence, the road kill? How much deductible do you have? How much do you think the total damage is? How long have you been with your insurance company? How would your insurance company handle a deer hit? All are things to consider
Old 10-12-2009, 10:30 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 10-12-2009, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

how about some pics ;-)
Old 10-12-2009, 10:49 AM
JK Newbie

I believe deer accidents are covered under comprehensive not collision so it shouldn't count as a claim that could be used to raise your rates. Best bet is to call your insurance company and ask then weigh the damage cost against your deductable.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:49 AM
JK Jedi

Yeah we want to see it pics. Leave it till you mess it up.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

where are the pics?
Old 10-12-2009, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Need the pics
Old 10-12-2009, 12:18 PM
JK Junkie

All good things to consider, pieces of the deer and my fog lights flew everywhere after I hit it, but I think it got an adrenaline rush and took off into the woods. I'll have to talk to my insurance agent and see if I am covered because like I said, I'd rather buy the lift than get a small dent fixed, especially since I'm sure it'll be dented again next summer from offroading. I'll get some pictures posted tonight after work when I get home, it doesn't look like much but if you look close you can see the damage.

Quick Reply: Stupid deer in the road! First one in a long time....