Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

OR-FAB Sport Cage Installation

Old 10-21-2009, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice i have slowly began looking at mine and reading the directions I guess my front will go on this weekend I will take some pics and post them up as well.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by yhudson
I've had mine installed for about 90 days now. My jeep goes everywhere there's an event (typically without me), so it takes given a lot of hard miles. I did have it last weekend and I can tell you there are still no rattles.

Yates
Great, thank you. Still waiting on mine to be delivered.

Richard.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:36 PM
JK Super Freak

No rattles here either. It's supposed to rain tomorrow/Sat, so I will let everyone know if it has changed my top enough that it leaks.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Rear streamers arrived today.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just completed this install. It would be wise to remove the Right side dash speaker and pull the wire loom away from the dash supports that you need to trim. The extra 15 minutes is way better than fixing the wiring that several of us have cut into while trimming the dash supports.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:28 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by KenB1010
I just completed this install. It would be wise to remove the Right side dash speaker and pull the wire loom away from the dash supports that you need to trim. The extra 15 minutes is way better than fixing the wiring that several of us have cut into while trimming the dash supports.

Thanks! I'll make an extra note of it in the instructions for everyone.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:43 AM
JK Freak

that kit looks AWESOME! I love the look. it looks alot stronger than what I've seen from other companies.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:11 PM
JK Super Freak

So after it sat outside this weekend in the rain and cold, I haven't noticed appreciable leaking. I see a few drops, but that happens when I open the doors, so I can't say it was there before. I can say that the soft top door surrounds have some "give" at the front, as the hole is bigger than the hand screw. So if it gets colder it might pull up some, I would have to see.
Other than that, still waiting for a day where I can paint my roll bars to match the fronts.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:19 AM
JK Newbie

Default Installation notes

Installed my sport cage w/ floor mount this weekend. Took me about 12 hours working by myself. I have to say the quality of the parts and the bend accuracy is great. Because of the tight fitting of the design it needs to be accurate or it will be a nightmare to install. I never found a great solution to making the cuts on the sides of the dash. I used a hack saw blade, sawzal, die grinder because the 4 in grinder/cut off blade nor rotozip type tools would fit in the space. That took awhile but got it done. I also removed the glove box and passenger speaker to move the wire harness so I did not cut into it while making those cuts. It took very little time to remove them so I consider that a good solution. There is no door contact with the side plates as they are tucked in really well. There has been no rattles or noise. I run a soft top and the door surrounds fit back in place like they should. This is a pretty major modification and would be hard to go back to stock after installing it due to the mods to plastic covers and the dash sides. I like to apply that thought before deciding on a major install like this since we have so much money in these Jeeps. If I ever sold it that cage will stay in it.
All in all I am really impressed with the cage system and feel it was a worthy upgrade.

Richard
Old 11-09-2009, 02:00 PM
JK Super Freak

So far I haven't noticed any problem with leaks. It got cold, so a touch more wind noise, but that always happens. I reseated the top and no problems.

Quick Reply: OR-FAB Sport Cage Installation