Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Shifter boot bezel

Old 12-07-2009, 09:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter boot bezel

I tried doing a search and as usual I got tons of stuff that don't apply.

My shifter bezel is busted. I have tried drilling out the centers in an attempt to remove the fake security screws. they are fake by the way, at least on mine. Anyway, its not working. I have thought about just drilling everything out and replacing with the real stuff, but am wondering if anyone is making a replaceable bezel for this. I have searched but am coming up with nothing.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:57 AM
JK Freak

And if youre wondering, my 145lb. Rottweiler that love's to go with me slammed the shifter area with his foot and broke the cheap ass thing then gave me a big ole sloppy kiss like, "hey Dad, why did that thing break". well you gotta love 'em.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:04 AM
JK Freak

I don't know if anyone makes a plastic replaceable bezel but I have a billet version. The fake screws you are talking about are plastic rivets that are melted on the back portion. They are pretty easy to remove from the back side of the bezel.

You can see the new bezel in the below pic.

Here is the link for the bezel from Quadratec. http://www.quadratec.com/products/52110_900.htm

Last edited by Locklain; 12-07-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:40 PM
JK Freak

Locklain: Gotta ask, where did you get the transfer and shift knobs? I have looked around a little for compatible knob sets but haven't found any that nice.

Was it difficult to get the factories off and keep the aftermarket knobs in place?

Think I found it on good old Quadratec. Still wondering, were the knobs difficult to install? (Apologies to the OP for the little highjack)

Last edited by Fathom; 12-07-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Quadratec has em' cheap for what they usually charge for things
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12600_0110.htm
Old 12-07-2009, 04:07 PM
JK Freak

Just drill out the fake screw heads and backing plate with a 3/16" bit and put in whatever type of bolt and nut hardware you like! I chose stainless sockethead cap screws. There is a whole thread in the Write-ups section on this: 6-speed Shift Bezel Mod

Last edited by Cpt. Flapjack; 12-07-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Fathom
Locklain: Gotta ask, where did you get the transfer and shift knobs? I have looked around a little for compatible knob sets but haven't found any that nice.

Was it difficult to get the factories off and keep the aftermarket knobs in place?

Think I found it on good old Quadratec. Still wondering, were the knobs difficult to install? (Apologies to the OP for the little highjack)
No they aren't too hard to install. Put the transmission into second gear and get both hands on the knob to pull it off. Pull toward your chest, not your face, or you are gonna be sorry. They take quiet a bit of force.

For the transfer case I put it into 4lo and it pulls of with the same amount of force as the shifter knob. The new knobs install with an hex wrench so no pulling is involved.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Locklain
No they aren't too hard to install. Put the transmission into second gear and get both hands on the knob to pull it off. Pull toward your chest, not your face, or you are gonna be sorry. They take quiet a bit of force.

For the transfer case I put it into 4lo and it pulls of with the same amount of force as the shifter knob. The new knobs install with an hex wrench so no pulling is involved.
That's what I was afraid you were gonna say! I treat the internals of the Jeep like they are made of glass (they seem to be really made of sh** plastic!) I haven't read of anyone ending up with the shift levers ripped out of the console but I wouldn't be surprised!
Old 12-08-2009, 05:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Fathom
That's what I was afraid you were gonna say! I treat the internals of the Jeep like they are made of glass (they seem to be really made of sh** plastic!) I haven't read of anyone ending up with the shift levers ripped out of the console but I wouldn't be surprised!
I have taken my shifter knob off a few times. The first time was just to see how hard it was, the second time was just to have a gander at how it was attached, and the third was to finally get rid of it. I wouldn't worry too much about it breaking just make sure to pull at the same angle as the shifter so nothing bends.

Quick Reply: Shifter boot bezel