Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MBRP Spare Tire Bracket Reinforcing Kit -- A Few TIPS!!!

Old 11-22-2009, 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MBRP Spare Tire Bracket Reinforcing Kit -- A Few TIPS!!!

First, I'm sorry I have no pictures. Couldn't find the camera anywhere when doing the install. So I'm not doing a write-up. BUT, I want to give you all a few helpful tips in-case you decide to pick this up.

Tip 1 -- Before anything, check all 8 of the bracket clips. Make sure their thread holes are all the same size/diameter. When I was threading my carrier's bolts through I couldn't figure out why some were going in with ease and others weren't going at all. Finally took out my brackets, compared them, and notice that 3 of the 8 clips were the WRONG SIZES. Luckily, Checkers had the clips I needed and I purchased a standard set of 4 for like an extra $2.50. So if this happens to you, AutoZone or Checkers do have the exact clips you need for this install.

Tip 2 -- If you have a CB Antenna Mount that uses the factory carrier's bolts, you will get frustrated. UNLESS you simply purchase bolts which have at least are a 1/2" longer than the bolts which came with your CB Mount, OR you relocate your antenna's mount altogether -- which is what I did to behind the third brake light.

Tip 3 -- Use a rubber malet when you have to "wiggle" the supplied bolt to break off the spot welds. No way is your kung-fu grip alone going to break those spot welds unless you want to spend an hour alone cussing and jerking them around. Immediately I knew my patience would wear thin. SIMPLY I threaded the supplied bolt to whichever spotwelded nut I was working on, and began hitting it from all sides until the spotwelds cracked. FYI -- when the spot welds break off you will hear a loud crack noise. DO NOT worry! That's okay.

Other then these 3 tips the install took about 2 hours tops. It would have taken no more than 1 hour if I didn't have to run to the store to pick up the correct hardware. Overall it's strong! No more bobbling noise with my oversize. Very easy install. You do not have to mechanically-inclined to do this!

At the moment this product has an 8 out of 10. Would've gotten all 10 but, for a couple of the tips needed, listed, you know why. I do recommend this product for anyone running a factory tire carrier with a tire that is 33" or 35"
Old 11-22-2009, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

cool thankx
Old 11-23-2009, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKYODA
LOL I did this mod and breaking the welds was a PITA.... the trick is not to wigle slow.... fast is the key. also it works best if you just barely thread the bolt in to get it going then thread the bolt to the end or you will snap the damn bolt.... ask me how I know!
I know how you know!! They sent me two bolts with mine (I guess in case one broke), and I broke both!! I had to run to Home Depot half way through and buy a couple more.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by gimp_dkd
I know how you know!! They sent me two bolts with mine (I guess in case one broke), and I broke both!! I had to run to Home Depot half way through and buy a couple more.
That's funny! Yeah, The Zinc bolts sucks. Luckily I had a M5 bolt lying around with the same thread pattern and just used that one -- extra strength.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RN M OVR
Tip 1 -- Before anything, check all 8 of the bracket clips. Make sure their thread holes are all the same size/diameter. When I was threading my carrier's bolts through I couldn't figure out why some were going in with ease and others weren't going at all. Finally took out my brackets, compared them, and notice that 3 of the 8 clips were the WRONG SIZES. Luckily, Checkers had the clips I needed and I purchased a standard set of 4 for like an extra $2.50. So if this happens to you, AutoZone or Checkers do have the exact clips you need for this install.

Tip 3 -- Use a rubber malet when you have to "wiggle" the supplied bolt to break off the spot welds. No way is your kung-fu grip alone going to break those spot welds unless you want to spend an hour alone cussing and jerking them around. Immediately I knew my patience would wear thin. SIMPLY I threaded the supplied bolt to whichever spotwelded nut I was working on, and began hitting it from all sides until the spotwelds cracked. FYI -- when the spot welds break off you will hear a loud crack noise. DO NOT worry! That's okay.
Completely agree, tip #1 4 of the 8 clips sent to me were the wrong size, after calling them, MBRP sent me another 6 correct sized ones. Good tip that Autozone sell them.

tip #3 I'd add two more points : when I finally broke the nuts free (owch !) hold on to them tight, my big mitts dropped two into the tailgate abyss, can hear then rattling around in there when open/close the tailgate. Also, spray rust inhibitor into the cavity once nuts are off, there's no paint behind the removed stock nuts.

Quick Reply: MBRP Spare Tire Bracket Reinforcing Kit -- A Few TIPS!!!