Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tires loud after rotation.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Tires loud after rotation.

Hey guys/gals, happy hump-day!

Well, just yesterday I had the second oil change on my Jeep as I just ticked over the 10,000 mile mark, and I'm still loving it as much as day 1! The dealership said they usually recommend that every other oil change they rotate the tires, and this being my second oil change, they suggested that I rotate mine. I agreed that it's a good idea so they went ahead and rotated them. Well, after driving it yesterday afternoon and today I've really noticed that the tires are singing quite loudly. They never did this before the rotation, and honestly I've been quite happy with the low amount of road noise I can hear, even on the highway. I've got the hard top on now, and it's usually very quiet. I'm running my stock BFG MT's that come standard on the Rubi's and have never noticed them making much noise, even with the top and doors off this summer. Now, they're singing like crazy!! They're really making that "wah-wah-wah-wah" noise, and you can hear it growing and growing as you pull away and gather speed.

Could this be a result of the tires rolling or wearing differently now that they're all in different positions after the rotation? Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal, or could there be an underlying issue? I mean, I'm not running Buckshots or Super Swampers here, these are the stock MT's! Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

In general mts get louder as they wear. What you are hearing is because you rotated your tires. Nothing to worry about. It should quiet back down in a week or 2.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's making the noise because the tires are now wearing in places they wern't before, the very reason you rotated them to begin with. They will quite back down in a week depending on your driving habbits.

You should rotate the BFG's every 3000 miles to get maximum tire life per the manufacturer. At $15-$20 a rotation it's far cheaper than having to buy new tires early. Also, make sure to do the 5 tire rotation using your full sized spare.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks!

That's what I was suspecting, but I wanted to make sure. I'm not sure if they did the 5 tire rotation or not. I'll have to go look at my spare to see.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know the few people before have said wear, but i would check to see if your tires are directional tread and if they rotated them incorectly. directional tires do not rotate like non directional tires, it is a different rotation pattern. just a thought.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by captjay
i know the few people before have said wear, but i would check to see if your tires are directional tread and if they rotated them incorectly. directional tires do not rotate like non directional tires, it is a different rotation pattern. just a thought.
stock rubi tires aren't directional
Old 12-09-2009, 12:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skippman
It's making the noise because the tires are now wearing in places they wern't before, the very reason you rotated them to begin with. They will quite back down in a week depending on your driving habbits.

You should rotate the BFG's every 3000 miles to get maximum tire life per the manufacturer. At $15-$20 a rotation it's far cheaper than having to buy new tires early. Also, make sure to do the 5 tire rotation using your full sized spare.
Well said!
Old 12-09-2009, 12:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JEEP THRILLS
stock rubi tires aren't directional
sorry, i havent seen stock tires in a while. i run directional 37's
Old 12-09-2009, 04:18 PM
JK Newbie

I noticed the same thing after the first rotation, got back to normal road noise after about 400 highway miles.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Yep every time a rotation is done on my rubi I notice it is louder then it quiets down.

with the 5 tire rotation you are changing direction the tires are rotating and it makes sense that you are now running on high spots which make more noise.

Quick Reply: Tires loud after rotation.