Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optima, Odyssey or Other Battery which is best and why?

Old 12-28-2009, 10:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optima, Odyssey or Other Battery which is best and why?

Optima, Odyssey or Other Battery which is best and why?

Can anyone provide real information on batteries and what is the best for a JK with a winch.

We all have opinions me included but we need facts as what is the best going forward.

Also if you want to get a welder to use on the trail then you need dual batteries but what would be the best to get for the longest lasting.

If you want to reply by using the search function, then put a link to to what you find, as I think the search sucks
Old 12-28-2009, 10:59 AM
JK Super Freak

I have an optima yellow top. Had it a year.

Currently hooked up gadgets.

Smittybilt xrc 8 winch

ALPINE PDX 4.150

JL Audio 250/1 V2 amp powering sub

CB

PIAA 6" off road lights

No problems so far in the indiana weather.

I think if you dualed up optimas it wouldnt be a problem for a welder on the trail.

Last edited by Warlock13; 12-28-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:14 AM
JK Super Freak

I have the Odyssey...Installed it last November no problems at all...I
bought through a local battery store(Total Battery)He gave me the
speech on Optima - Odyssey...He says the Odyssey is a better battery...
A little more money but hey...I've added on some lighting - neon on
inside - 1000 watt amp powering 2 - 12" MTX subs...My lights dim when i
really hit it but i think it's the alternator not keeping up...Anyway it's
Odyssey all the way with me...
Old 12-28-2009, 12:35 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by goldtr8
Optima, Odyssey or Other Battery which is best and why? ...
I don't know the answer to your question. And, in fact, until very recently I was a big skeptic of these ultra-expensive batteries. Then I as many others here on JK-Forum, followed this thread for a couple days ...

EMERGENCY! NEED HELP! Death Valley NP area Jeepers!

I read this deep in that thread above:

Originally Posted by moun10eer
... I don't want you to drive all the way here. We got a tow track guy in Lone Pine that would bring a new battery -- he thinks the battery went bad because of all the bumps. He said he's seen it millions times. ...
Since my favorite part of Jeeping is getting away from people on long trails, versus crawling in small playgrounds, I decided to give more thought to my next battery. Now I'm giving serious consideration to the suitability of the battery for off-road use. I believe the Optima has some characteristics that lend it well to such duty. Not certain about any other brands, though there probably are some. I am very interested in any first-hand experience/expert opinions along these lines.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Alpha Expedition

Odyssey. Better warranty, better cold cranking powers and etc. I have been using them for many many years. And A very popular high end brand in Europe. Can't go wrong with it. But you do pay more.

Sears Die-Hard Platinum Battery is a re-badged Odyssey battery but for $50-90 less, and do not have the same warranty as the same Odyssey batteries. (I think that is where the price differences is at).

Now... just look for the group 34 at Sears site. Won't show if you use " Search by Vehicle"
Old 12-28-2009, 02:02 PM
JK Super Freak

The sealed "Absorbed Glass Mat" construction of the higher end batteries (Optima, Odyssey) is much more resilient to shock and vibration, which is half the reason I went that route when I did my dual batt setup a while back. Basically, it's still a liquid electrolyte, but it's fully absorbed mats of boron silicate which are tightly sandwiched between the plates.

More typical "flooded" cells have free-flowing electrolyte and parallel plates that are spaced within it. As I understand it, in starter battery applications, the plates themselves are often permeable, which increases cold-cranking amperage, but at the expense of resiliency under vibration and also under deep discharge conditions. Deep cycle batteries have solid plates, which don't suffer from these shortcomings, but don't produce the same cold-cranking amperage of starting batteries.

Higher end AGM batteries can offer a more compelling combination of CCA, capacity, vibration resistance, and tolerance for deep discharge down to about 60%. Additionally, they are usually sealed systems that can work at any angle and don't required hydrogen vents.

Personally I went with Sears Die Hard Platinums, which are re-branded Odyssey batteries for $100 less. Group 34. Check them out.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with a Sears Die Hard Platnum. It is an Odesy battery but with a sears sticker on it. not only is the warrenty excelent, Sears is everywhere in the event of needing a warrenty replacement. Oh plus it is about $100 cheaper for the same battery with the odesy name on it.

I had a Optima battery in the past it was a great battery. But I have also read they they quality has gone down since the brand was sold.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by gpwpat
Go with a Sears Die Hard Platnum. It is an Odesy battery but with a sears sticker on it. not only is the warrenty excelent, Sears is everywhere in the event of needing a warrenty replacement. Oh plus it is about $100 cheaper for the same battery with the odesy name on it.

I had a Optima battery in the past it was a great battery. But I have also read they they quality has gone down since the brand was sold.
X2...The KISS Dual Batt. tray, w/reg.Platinum Diehard for starting, and a Deep Cycle Platinum for winching, Fridge, and all other accessories. Around $189.00 ea.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by FastCarGuy
X2...The KISS Dual Batt. tray, w/reg.Platinum Diehard for starting, and a Deep Cycle Platinum for winching, Fridge, and all other accessories. Around $189.00 ea.
What is the KISS dual battery tray
Old 12-28-2009, 08:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by goldtr8
What is the KISS dual battery tray
http://benchmark-designs.com/product...ery_system.php

highly recommended....

Quick Reply: Optima, Odyssey or Other Battery which is best and why?