Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft Top under Hard Top

Old 01-20-2010, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Top under Hard Top

Stupid questions but will the brackets for the soft top fit under the hard top. Debating on gettin a regular soft top and I dont want to take those brackets out just to transfer over to the hard top
Old 01-20-2010, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

It gets shipped that way when you buy a jeep with both tops, HOWEVER, there are explicit instructions that this is only for shipping. The instructions are to remove the soft top if you are going to continue having hard top on the jeep.

I will also tell you that the top is VERY much in the way when both are installed. you basically can't access the cargo area in your JK.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WavetheWheat
It gets shipped that way when you buy a jeep with both tops, HOWEVER, there are explicit instructions that this is only for shipping. The instructions are to remove the soft top if you are going to continue having hard top on the jeep.
Yeah, why is that? I can't see how the soft top fabric would stretch, lose shape, tear, or lose its water resistance.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

IMO, it's just Jeep HOO-EY. I had my dual tops on my TJ for a long time. I just never unwrapped the soft top. As long as you keep things from abraiding the soft top you'll be o.k. But it did get in the way when loading stuff.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:39 PM
JK Super Freak

If you're talking about the brackets that bolt to the roll bar then yes. I have a dual top myself, so each winter, I unbolt the soft top frame from the brackets, leaving them on the roll bar, hang it on the wall, then put my hard top back on.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08RubiUnlimited
If you're talking about the brackets that bolt to the roll bar then yes. I have a dual top myself, so each winter, I unbolt the soft top frame from the brackets, leaving them on the roll bar, hang it on the wall, then put my hard top back on.
exactly
Old 01-21-2010, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08RubiUnlimited
Can you get the soft top out without taking off the hardtop? I still haven't taken mine out of my 2010 and was waiting for it to warm up because I hear over and over again that taking off the hardtop makes it a lot easier.

Originally Posted by RobtTxRubi
IMO, it's just Jeep HOO-EY. I had my dual tops on my TJ for a long time. I just never unwrapped the soft top. As long as you keep things from abraiding the soft top you'll be o.k. But it did get in the way when loading stuff.
Other than it taking up space I don't see why they emphasize taking it out.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Luke, I didn't see way to get it out without removing the hardtop. Both of my dual tops rigs (LJ and JK) were bought when it was warm enough to run the soft top, so it wasn't a big deal, as I wanted the hard top off anyway.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

You have to remove the hardtop, or unscrew it and shimmy it up, otherwise the tailgate isn't wide enough for you to get the soft top out.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

When we got our 07 Hard Top back in May of 09 the soft top was still in the back, never used. Still had that bright warning label. I did take mine out. It got in the way big time, everytime you tryed to put something in the back. And yes the hard top needs removed or at lease moved forward about a foot.

Quick Reply: Soft Top under Hard Top