Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rust in White Paint?

Old 03-09-2010, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default environmental fallout?

An update: Took it to two dealers this morning. First dealer said it was "environmental fallout" and second dealer said it was from road grime getting embedded in the clear-coat. Guess they are both about the same explanation, with the same "get it detailed" response. Kind of seems like a total cop-out. They claim it's an issue with all white and silver vehicles, but I've owned 2 silver and 1 white cars/jeeps in the past and this is the first time I've ever had an issue.

The second dealer recommended the clay bar as well, so I picked up Mother's clay bar at my local parts store. Hopefully that will help, though kind of seems like a crock of shit that even with routine washing and waxing the paint/clear-coat still can't manage to stay clear after only a couple months of driving.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:29 AM
JK Newbie

Have the same thing going on right now. Dealer will not cover it. so the clay bar is the thing to try. Does it keep coming back after abit of time. Seems to me alittle rust will turn into alot of rust.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

I see that you live were winter is real, what you have is tar and road dirt that stains white paint. what I would do in spring of the year when I owned white vechicles was to wash the sides down with varsol or gas with a clean white rag and you will see that rag is black with tar and then rewax.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:21 AM
JK Junkie

I always thought it was metal particles coming from the front brake pads.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

The clay bar is the way to go. I had the dealer's recon shop do mine. I was a little disappointed after I got it back that they waxed a bunch of dirt into it and had to strip and re-wax but they did take care of the rust spots.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok I have never heard of a clay bar, where do you get one
I have some rust on mine but not in the open areas of the body. My rust is coming from the bolts around the windshield. where the mirror reloc or lights would mount. so im assuming that the bolts or the paintes threads are rusting
Old 06-21-2010, 12:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by funwthmud
Ok I have never heard of a clay bar, where do you get one
I have some rust on mine but not in the open areas of the body. My rust is coming from the bolts around the windshield. where the mirror reloc or lights would mount. so im assuming that the bolts or the paintes threads are rusting
Any auto parts store, even Walmart, carry clay bars. IMHO they are all basically the same, some lubricant and a clay bar. I know some people can't believe a clay bar would do anything but it does. My paint is as smooth as a babies butt! It takes all the contaminents out of the paint.

Can you guys post your results???
Old 06-21-2010, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think the clay bar will work it you take care of it right away. I waited to long and the clay bar didn't work for me. It might have helped....but not even close to getting it off. Only thing I found to work was polishing compound. Not sure what that will do to my clear coat, but at least the rust particles are gone. I will add a few layers of wax on top and do a better job at keeping up on them. What a PITA....
Old 06-21-2010, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had the same thing happen to a 2000 White Ford Taurus I had. Seemed like there was a yellow stain or rust underneath the paint but it was smooth and no bubbles or raised areas. They fixed it under warranty and it never came back. Good luck
Old 06-21-2010, 04:11 PM
JK Freak

If you have a clear coat you can have it color sanded. They take 2000 grit sandpaper and wet sand your entire Jeep. Then they use a buffer with a wool pad and some compound and it comes out like glass. I've painted vehicles and that's always the last step. The problem is, with black, red and white, those are mostly a one stage paint, no clear coat.

Quick Reply: Rust in White Paint?