Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rust in White Paint?

Old 06-24-2010, 05:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tslewisz
I always thought it was metal particles coming from the front brake pads.
x2

I have a silver 08 and have the same problem. Mostly the spots are on my doors, so I figured it was a combination of material from the road and the front brakes. A body shop agreeded. When my OEM brake pads are done, I'll get some non-metalics.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by funwthmud
Ok I have never heard of a clay bar, where do you get one
I too had never heard of it. A friend of mine owns a body shop and he was intent on teaching me how to care for a vehicle finish "on my own" (probably so I would quit bothering him when I couldn't remove some blemish from the finish). I put all his wisdom in the following document:

http://home.comcast.net/~kingslea1/Jeep/Detailing.pdf

The clay bar really made a believer out of me, though I was very skeptical at first. He said it is his preferred method of removing surface contaminents because it is almost impossible to damage the clear coat (unless you drop the bar and rub the paint with an unclean bar). You should see his shop, he has all kinds of power buffers (some not dual action) where if you don't know what you are doing you can rub the clear coat and paint right off. The dual action polisher described in the paper is "harmless" to the finish as long as common sense is followed (I was worried about that but used one long enough to say it is safe). Good luck!
Old 06-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Lui
JK Enthusiast

I had the same issue on my black jeep except some of the tiny specks seemed like they made it through the paint and were rusting. Dealership took care of it under warranty and repainted the hood. I know factory paint is the best but it came out pretty well. My only gripe is now I have swirl marks pretty bad in direct light. I thought about complaining at first but ended up chalking it up since I know how black paint is.

Quick Reply: Rust in White Paint?