Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

clock spring???

Old 03-23-2010, 06:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clock spring???

Does anyone know about this? I have been told it's my problem. And am wondering if it's something I can take on myself or need to take it in because of the risk of the air bag?
Old 03-23-2010, 06:44 PM
JK Freak

Yeah I've done a search and it really didn't come back with much. They where talking about it, but none that I saw had done it them self. I have a shop already quoting me 2something. Which from what I have read I'm not sure I need a new one but maybe just have mine re-set. Because I had my gear box off to have it re-built from PSC and I saw on one of the searchs I did, was the spring can come lose during this.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:59 PM
JK Freak

What kind of problems are you having.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ink42o
Yeah I've done a search and it really didn't come back with much. They where talking about it, but none that I saw had done it them self. I have a shop already quoting me 2something. Which from what I have read I'm not sure I need a new one but maybe just have mine re-set. Because I had my gear box off to have it re-built from PSC and I saw on one of the searchs I did, was the spring can come lose during this.
If you didn't turn the steering wheel and if you reinstalled the shaft back on the gear box with the correct orientation, then you don't have to worry about the clockspring. It can only come undone if you remove the steering wheel and the clockspring from the upper steering shaft or if you rotate the lower steering shaft while you have it removed from the gearbox.

BTW if the clockspring somehow does come undone (or is installed improperly), then it breaks when you make a full turn in the opposite direction and your dashboard will light up and the horn will no longer work.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably can't reset it, you have a shot at it IF it isn't broken. Could the turns until it starts to feel some resistance, then center it. If its broken you'll know, lights/horn inop, no resetting it. If it uncoils, you are sol as well.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:08 PM
JK Newbie

Don't let the "clockspring" scare you!

It's nothing more than a computer ribbon tape wound up in a plastic case! Nothing more - nothing less. Folks are correct in saying that if it's damaged such as pulled apart from the inner connections (and you don't have electronics in your background) you ARE sol...
But... If you pulled your wheel and let it rotate out of sync, your airbag light keeps coming on, ect... You CAN service this "piece of gold" yourself. I had done one in a 02 Dodge pickup that had an airbag light gremlin. I pulled the CS out and soldered up all the connection points that used crimped connectors, I soldered the connectors to their wires instead of just relying on the "crimps". I pulled and unwound and used it for a yo-yo even! But... When I prepared to reinstall, I gently wound it clockwise until I felt light resistance, then counted the counter-clockwise turns before again feeling resistance then divided the number of turns by 2 and REWOUND CLOCKWISE FULLY and back COUNTERCLOCKWISE by the result. EX. If you count 20 winds - turn clockwise until lightly snug than counterclockwise by 10 turns... (That is only an EXAMPLE)...
Very EASY to work on these as long as the internal wiring is sound - only a ribbon in a plastic case!

p.s. It CAN be repaired easily even if it's pulled apart inside!
Old 03-24-2010, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thats a new one on me i`ll have to be aware of that thanks for the info.....
Old 03-24-2010, 12:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by txjeeplover
If you didn't turn the steering wheel and if you reinstalled the shaft back on the gear box with the correct orientation, then you don't have to worry about the clockspring. It can only come undone if you remove the steering wheel and the clockspring from the upper steering shaft or if you rotate the lower steering shaft while you have it removed from the gearbox.

BTW if the clockspring somehow does come undone (or is installed improperly), then it breaks when you make a full turn in the opposite direction and your dashboard will light up and the horn will no longer work.

Yes I rotated the lower shaft to line back up the gear box bolt. And when I went to prime the gear box I heard alot of nosie in the steering wheel, so I know it's broken. So I know I need a new one, now would this cause my steering wheel to keep moving center while driving down the road? And the one thing I was worried about is the air bag going off in my face if I pull the steering wheel myself.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by toad
This is why I paid to have it done.
lol yeah I understand that. I have found a place that will sell me the part for $175, which is about $100 cheaper then the dealership just for the part, plus about $175 for labor.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Virscar is correct. It's a simple procedure overall. Disconnect the battery for about an hour (or longer if you want err on the side of caution). Remove the bolts retaining the airbag, lift it off, disconnect it, and put it aside face up (again in an over abundance of caution). Remove the single nut holding the steering wheel on the steering shaft then back out any connections through the wheel that are connected to the clockspring. With the steering wheel removed, extract the clockspring and disconnect the line coming into it from the lower column.

With the clockspring removed follow Ivirscar's directions.

Are you sure you 100% sure you unraveled your clockspring? Are you getting lights on the dash? You would have had to rotate your lower steering shaft at least one full revolution or more with the gear box disconnected to encounter any problems after installation. Part of me thinks the steering shaft is rubbing against something or it's not situated in the firewall properly.

If you don't feel comfortable with the labor and procedures as described, I recommend you go ahead and source it out. It's a fairly basic procedure but many people are not comfortable around airbags (with good reason) and breaking a clip or retainer could cost you more in the long run. But I really hate for you to purchase a new part, pay for labor, and have it be something completely unrelated.

Best of luck either way!

Quick Reply: clock spring???