Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Custom Paint Job

Old 03-23-2010, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Paint Job

Ok, so I know jeeps dont really have custom paint jobs...Why do it right? Its an offroad vehicle. Well I was in Hooters yesterday with the roommate and we were filling out our NCAA bracket.

Well today, I get a phone call saying a won a $500 custom paint job from a local shop. I guess I did pretty good on the bracket, I actually thought I did horrible.

Anyways, I could either A) sell it, get some greenbacks for some bigger tires. B) Get the paint, nothing wild or anything.

Facts: Jeep- Black 2010 Wrangler 2DR sport 2600 miles. Completely bare bones stock.

Will post pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep left side.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	39269  
Old 03-23-2010, 04:50 PM
JK Super Freak

No $500 paint job, is a paint job you want...

I wouldn't paint my jeep with a perfectly fine paint job (maybe someday 20 years from now when its absolutely beat), but if I did I would get somethign that costs more than $500 b/c I would be afraid to see what a $500 paint job looks like - I'm thinking Maaco?!

I've had one of my previous cars custom painted before and there is a lot that goes into a good paint job (removing all windows, lights, painting jambs, inside hood, trunk, etc.) and it *has* to cost more than $500 if done right. That paint job cost me over $2500 and it was a compact car; I've heard of places charging even more than that...
Old 03-23-2010, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by redrockin7
No $500 paint job, is a paint job you want...

I wouldn't paint my jeep with a perfectly fine paint job (maybe someday 20 years from now when its absolutely beat), but if I did I would get somethign that costs more than $500 b/c I would be afraid to see what a $500 paint job looks like - I'm thinking Maaco?!

I've had one of my previous cars custom painted before and there is a lot that goes into a good paint job (removing all windows, lights, painting jambs, inside hood, trunk, etc.) and it *has* to cost more than $500 if done right. That paint job cost me over $2500 and it was a compact car; I've heard of places charging even more than that...
They said the $500 figure was priced for about the size of a tailgate. I wouldn't want the Whole Jeep painted crazy designs, just maybe a tear on each side, with something inside it. Like a american flag or skulls.

Last edited by Senecan; 03-23-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget the paint how about a free linex job and throw the carpet away.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

FLAT BLACK

nuff said.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:21 PM
JK Junkie

^^That's whats up!! you should see if they'd do that instead. (the line X'd interior.)
Old 03-23-2010, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rvator
Forget the paint how about a free linex job and throw the carpet away.
+ 1 on that.

I'd keep the carpet and take it out when wheeling though.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

agreed, see if they'll line x the interior for ya....that or sell it for other mods...well that's my opinion anyways
Old 03-23-2010, 05:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Senecan
just maybe a tear on each side, with something inside it. Like a american flag or skulls.
Ermm... the tear down the side of a vehicle kind of went out of style shortly after the first fast and the furious, back in 2000 or so?

I'm also not sure it was ever "in" for an offroad vehicle?

When I picture tears down the side of vehicle, I just picture the "imports", and the not very cool ones at that...

Don't do it...

The linex suggestion is a good one though.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:57 PM
JK Super Freak

line x is right around $1200 if you do all the prep your self (to the point where they only have to unbolt your drivers seat) at least that's what my local line x place quoted me

Quick Reply: Custom Paint Job