Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

35's on Jk...How much lift?

Old 03-26-2010, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35's on Jk...How much lift?

How much lift is needed to run 35 size tires on a JK. Don't wanna go too crazy, just enough to have a problem free ride. And by doing so...do I have to deal with ratio and odometers issues? Can I just put them on and hit the road? I'd apreciate any commets or suggestions!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:01 PM
JK Newbie

I have 35" Mud Grapplers on my 4 door JK. I'm running a RC 3.25" lift and it works fine, except because I have the mud grapplers they are pretty knobby so I need to get like .25" wheel spacers so they dont rub when making tight turns. If you get tires that are less extreme you wont need the spacers. As for ratios, odometer, etc.... I have the Superchips Flashpaq and its awesome! You WILL need to get some type of tuner. You could go AEV procal for $100 but it just does the odometer correction. You get a lot of features and benefits if you go with a tuner like Hypertech or the Flashpaq.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. Could you elaborate on using a tuner? I'm new to all of this and have no clue on what these things do. What happens if I don't use one of those or a "Flashpack"?
Old 03-26-2010, 09:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by black-x
Thanks for the info. Could you elaborate on using a tuner? I'm new to all of this and have no clue on what these things do. What happens if I don't use one of those or a "Flashpack"?
There are tons of threads on this forum about this topic. I highly advise getting some kind of tuner. Just do a search and there is a plethora of info

Old 03-26-2010, 09:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x2. Plus read the FAQ. This question is clearly answered there.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:43 PM
JK Newbie

Can opener meet can o' worms.

What kind of wheeling are you doing? This is the most important factor about your lift size. If going to mainly mud, then you could get away with just a poly spacer kit (2-2.5" would do the job). If rocky terrain is in your future you are going to want more tire to fender clearance as the rocks will get you flexing.

3"-3.5"would be my recomended minimum for multi-terrain without getting carried away on price and complications.

Gearing and odometer? No matter your current gear ratio the 35 will sap power from your Jeep. Auto or stick, doesn't matter. A lot of people will tell you that 35's are very liveable with stock gears (heres to hoping you don't have 3.21 gears ) but only you can answer that after the install. The 3.8 v6 is not a power monster but slap 35's on and it will feel more like a smooth running V 4 and one half cylinder.

If you don't mind giving up some power on road... because off-road you still have 4 low as it will still work fairly well, then stock gears will be ok. Again after the install you will know. You will know pretty darn fast if you like or want your power back.

I would like to add though that this is by far the biggest mistake people make is ignoring gearing.

Trust me when I tell you that a lot people deep down inside enjoy looking at their Jeep sitting in the driveway more than actually driving it because they put a huge tire on and didn't re-gear. Nice lift, nice fat meats and no go pedal.
Naturally most will never admit that

Your odometer will be off by roughly 10-15 percent. This is liveable as the only real speeding ticket danger is at free-way speeds and just remember 70MPH on the odom is about 78-80 MPH. 35 MPH is about 40. No big deal.

One final note. Rim width can play a factor here in regards to your actual net tire height. An 8" rim and 12.50" wide tire combo will net a little more height than a 10" rim and 12.50" wide tire. Do some specific checking on the tire you have in mind. A lot of them don't quite measure a full 35". You could get a tire that is exactly 34.7" tall, go with 10" rims and this would be a very liveable combo on the smaller lift.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by black-x
A tuner can do many things. DO NOT get fooled into thinking it will make your Jeep run on 35's like it does with the stockers. Gears and only gears will do that unless you want to swap in a Hemi.

It can help with the odometer. You can get a tweak here or there with one but it will never be a substitue for lower gearing. Just keep that in mind.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:00 PM
JK Newbie

He lives in Orlando, he's not gonna be wheeling (Maybe Mudding), and he said he wants a easy ride. I assume he wants something decent for a cheap price. Just the normal driver. I live in Florida to so I understand. Yes we could get into details about a $1600 regear and getting into a better lift but most of us here are ballin on a budget lol.

Just search the forum and you'll find everything you need to know and every opinion as well. I love the forums.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 4dr auto with 35s on a 3" and really like the setup. You may want to consider upgrading the gears, mine labors on the hwy when its windy or climbing an over pass.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:19 AM
JK Newbie

I did a 2.5" coil lift and it clears fine for what I do. If I had it to do over I probably would have done a 3" lift. You will certainly need the AEV or a Flashpaq to get your speedo, etc. correct.

Quick Reply: 35's on Jk...How much lift?