Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Common JK Problems? Jeep in general?

Old 04-13-2010, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Common JK Problems? Jeep in general?

Hi guys, I'm very interested in getting a Sahara Unlimited, but I would really like to know if there are any common problems or quality control issues.

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-13-2010, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

i got a 2010 sahara with dual tops, auto, and remote start - only 3 months but couldn't be happier with it!
Old 04-13-2010, 07:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clunky steering, leaky tops, premature ball joint failure, death wobble, leaking axle seals.

Those are the most common ones I can think of off hand. I have 30K and have had all those problems minus full blown DW.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:10 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 04-13-2010, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Chrysler replaced my transfer case at 18,000 miles. But 2008's have a warranty for as long as I own the vehicle.

If it weren't for that warranty - this thing woulda had a fuel injected Chevy 346 right now.

But other than the transfer case, which Jeeps says they have never replaced a Rubicon one before at this mileage is still a good vehicle.

If you can afford a Sahara, why not upgrade to the Rubicon 4 door? MUCH better vehicle. And none of that painted fender stuff to get scratched.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

I have had two JK's and have only had a few issue's but they were caused by modifications and Very heavy wheelin, if you do not plan on modifing it then I doubt you will have any serious problems. You will get a LOT of people posting all sorts of stuff but it will really depend on what you are going to use the jeep for that will determine any issues that you might run into.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Yes, thanks for asking... all these people I don't know just keep waving to me!?!?!?!?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first few things I noticed... the front windshield is a magnet for wayward rocks and can't take a hit at all. The dash is super soft and scratches easily. There was an article in this months JP magazine that covered the most common problems. Crush can bumpers, broken driveshafts, bent axles...

Leaky soft tops seems to be a big bitch-fest here, so you may want to avoid one if you live in wet areas.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

<--- Hard top & Heated Seats. Only way to play in the snow.

But now it's time to take the top off, so off to that forum to see how I do this. Soft top was only on the vehicle for 3 weeks. I was too lazy last year, and it was great in Phoenix so the A/C works. BUT it's heavy, makes the Jeep top heavy. Glad I have a 2 door.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:05 AM
JK Freak

CAUTION ! If your an individual that A) can't stand a little drip of water B) can't tolerate the slightest wind noise C) Bumps hurt your tush, or D) fancy yourself driving the NASCAR circuit.Then you may want to look elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Common JK Problems? Jeep in general?