Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

**Low Gas Mileage**

Old 01-11-2010, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **Low Gas Mileage**

So my jk went from 16 to 17 mpg to 12.2 mpg in a week. Anyone have any idea what it could be? I haven't changed anything other that a new winch and bumper. Seems to be running as normal. Bad gas? I'm no mechanic so any advice would be great.

Jeff
Old 01-11-2010, 12:24 PM
JK Freak

How many miles do you have on the vehicle? Are you sure there's no unusual sounds?

Micah
Old 01-11-2010, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

24k miles. I can't find anything wrong with it other than the mpg guage.

09 unlimited Black Auto
Old 01-11-2010, 01:28 PM
JK Freak

Have you done any recent work to it or had any recent servicing such as transmission or oil flushes? Have you verified the gas mileage with your odometer at a fillup? How many tanks of gas have you put in with this low mileage?

To start out, I'd check your air filter and PCV valve. If it's a more substantial problem, I'd take it to the dealer - it looks like it's still under warranty.

Micah
Old 01-11-2010, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

i went down to 14mpg with cold,congo cage and military trailer behind...
Old 01-11-2010, 02:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mcgeeusmc20
So my jk went from 16 to 17 mpg to 12.2 mpg in a week. Anyone have any idea what it could be? I haven't changed anything other that a new winch and bumper. Seems to be running as normal. Bad gas? I'm no mechanic so any advice would be great.

Jeff
how many tanks of gas was that over? did you switch brands of gas? anyone else drive it besides yourself?

it's been cold in a lot of places, have you been letting it warm up for longer periods? Or sitting in more traffic than usual? have you checked you tire pressures?

just thoughts...
Old 01-11-2010, 03:18 PM
JK Freak

Winch and bumper? I would think the added weight, especially up front could cause it? What do I know though, still running stock bumpers, but they seem pretty light!
Old 01-11-2010, 03:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcgeeusmc20

Jeff
first off, reset the computer thingy that tells u the mpg. press and hold till it blinks off and back on. if that does not change, then check your air filter, when was last oil change? the cold can make it worse. a cold engine will get worse mileage than warm.

i for get what the % is but for every 100lbs added u loose gas milage, but i would not think the bumper and winch add enough to drop that much.

IMO i would start with these

edit: also check tire pressures. the cold will drop them.
for every 100 lbs is up to a 2% loss on mpg.
someone else mention earlier, if u are warming up longer periods, u are burning more gas

Last edited by captjay; 01-11-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:52 PM
JK Super Freak

dont even go by the computer do that math your self when you fill up

are you still stock? if not did you recalibrate your computer for the larger tire size?
Old 01-11-2010, 05:00 PM
JK Freak

Default bad guage.

that guage is so full of crap, i have had it all the way up to 42 mpg. and when i idel it will go all the way down to 3

Quick Reply: **Low Gas Mileage**