Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

full doors vs. half doors........

Old 04-15-2010, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Half Doors

I would say it depends on where you live. I have half doors and yes they are louder than full doors but I didn't find them to be too bad over the winter. Definitely like the looks with the top down and half doors.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Not a huge fan of them, had them on my YJ. I need the security of the full door and hard top during the week, due to things needing to be secure while at work or on job sites.

I would, and did go with full doors. I would like to buy some of the rear (4-door), tube doors for the kids, but probably won't, so they can just enjoy the nothingness, which is more classic Jeep, IMO.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:23 AM
JK Junkie

agree on it depends where you live... I'm in an extermly Urban area and the full doors give me a little extra piece of mind (even if it is only a little). Plus I have no where to store the full doors on a long term basis. Would I love half doors??? you bet, but it's just not gonna happen unless I move or get a house with more room.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just sold my full door 07 and now looking for a half door unlimited. If you like half doors at all get them on your new jeep. You can find used full doors at junkyards but not many half doors. I saw a set of 4 fulls on ebay for 3k. I bet you could even find lots of guys willing to trade if you didn't like the half doors.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Do half doors cost more than full doors when u order a jk?
Old 04-15-2010, 01:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by will21190
probably less. but they don't come on the Sahara (do they still make Sahara? I keep hearing Islander again)

half door upper windows are zippered up and down, no power option.

Depending on what kinds of options you like it may be easier to order full doors the *try* to get some half doors (well, factory ones are hard to come by, there are lots of non factory half doors on the aftermarket). If you don't care about power this and that order the half and find some used fulls.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saltman
Half doors are the only way to go.

Full doors on the JK are HUGE and akward. They look horrible with the top down and ruin the whole open top experience. The metal comes up so high on the door that it is awkward putting your arm on the door when driving. Much lower with the half doors. They take up much more room when storing also.

I'm 6'3" and find them very comfortable for my arm, and at an athletic 220lbs have no problem moving the doors either, but not everyone is freakishly large like me :<)
Old 04-15-2010, 01:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by will21190
They are the same price.

Power option is not available with half doors.
Security is not available with half doors.
Hard Top is not available with half doors.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:27 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by saltman
They are the same price.
not true... there is actually a -$500 option with the selection of getting half doors instead of full ones.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fadeout
not true... there is actually a -$500 option with the selection of getting half doors instead of full ones.
you are correct with the Unlimited. Incorrect with a 2dr. I didn't realize there was a difference.

Quick Reply: full doors vs. half doors........