Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Freedom top felt tape

Old 06-15-2013, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freedom top felt tape

Probably not using the appropriate name. Anyhow looks like some sort of Adhesive tape with. Felt feel that makes contact with rubber seal behind the front seats, where the freedom tops meet in the middle of the hard top. This felt is put on the four corners over the top of the rubber. Mine has worn the felt off In a spot. When I pulled the freedom tops off. I had a string of adhesive between the FTop and the seal. Does anyone know where I can pick some of this felt up at. Dealer has a kit for 65 dollars. Just need a small piece to fix this spot. Has anyone else had this issue. What a mess. Thx Bill
Old 06-15-2013, 09:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FreedomJeep13
Probably not using the appropriate name. Anyhow looks like some sort of Adhesive tape with. Felt feel that makes contact with rubber seal behind the front seats, where the freedom tops meet in the middle of the hard top. This felt is put on the four corners over the top of the rubber. Mine has worn the felt off In a spot. When I pulled the freedom tops off. I had a string of adhesive between the FTop and the seal. Does anyone know where I can pick some of this felt up at. Dealer has a kit for 65 dollars. Just need a small piece to fix this spot. Has anyone else had this issue. What a mess. Thx Bill
Without doing any research, I'd say go to Home Depot and look in the weatherstripping aisle. You'll probably be able to find some adhesive-backed foam or similar that might hold up better. Remove, clean, cut new stuff to shape, and stick it on.

....Or the dealer kit is $65
Old 06-15-2013, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jk_sea

Without doing any research, I'd say go to Home Depot and look in the weatherstripping aisle. You'll probably be able to find some adhesive-backed foam or similar that might hold up better. Remove, clean, cut new stuff to shape, and stick it on.

....Or the dealer kit is $65
Thx on my way!!!
Old 06-16-2013, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've tried sourcing OEM weather strip pieces individually but I've never had any luck. It sucks buying a whole kit just for one or two small pieces you need.

FWIW, most the weather stripping in the last OEM kit I bought for my '07 JK was labeled "Permacel - A Nitto Denko company" and "3M 300LSE".
Old 06-16-2013, 08:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the exact same stuff when I ordered a few sets of JLAudio speaker pods for some can-ams a while back. You might want to call them and see if they could get some for you. It couldn't cost much. They are Miramar Florida.

Sent from the fast lane while driving one handed.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Oscar the Jeep & Collyn thanks for your help in this matter. Always appreciate a couple of options. Let you know what I come up with. Bill

Quick Reply: Freedom top felt tape