Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My tires are wearing on the outside!!!

Old 05-03-2010, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My tires are wearing on the outside!!!

So... my tires are wearing more on the outside. I read over the basic do it yourself alignment write up and if I understand it correctly I need to get a set of adjustable control arms to fix this. Does anyone know if I will need to get both the upper and lower arms or can I get away with one or the other?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are they wearing on the outside of both sides of the tires? If that is true, then you might be underinflated.

If they are wearing only on one side on both sides of the Jeep, then you might need to take a look at your camber. The control arms are used for caster, which would not correct your problem.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:32 AM
JK Junkie

Bent Tie Rod will also cause tire wear on the outside edges.....
Old 05-03-2010, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
Are they wearing on the outside of both sides of the tires? If that is true, then you might be underinflated.

If they are wearing only on one side on both sides of the Jeep, then you might need to take a look at your camber. The control arms are used for caster, which would not correct your problem.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Yeah, they are wearing on just the outside of each front tire. So... back to my question; Do I need both the upper and lower control arms or can I fix this with just the lower arms.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UGOTKERN
Bent Tie Rod will also cause tire wear on the outside edges.....
Do you have any idea how I can tell if it is bent? I checked it out really quick and it doesn't look bent but I suppose it could be a slight bend.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:47 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by derekjm14
Do you have any idea how I can tell if it is bent? I checked it out really quick and it doesn't look bent but I suppose it could be a slight bend.
One way to know for sure is to check your toe-in..... Several write ups on this forum including WOL's

This wont necessarily tell if you if yours is bent but it will inform if you need to adjust your tie rod or replace.

Last edited by UGOTKERN; 05-03-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by derekjm14
Yeah, they are wearing on just the outside of each front tire. So... back to my question; Do I need both the upper and lower control arms or can I fix this with just the lower arms.
No one can answer that without KNOWING what the problem is. Take it to a good tire shop and have them do a proper front end alignment. The cost of an alignment and evaluation is way cheaper than a new set of tires because the old set wore out. I have mine aligned and checked every spring. I guess it's time.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:09 PM
JK Junkie

Control arms are not going to fix your problem. Camber is not adjustable on the JK.

If your tie rod is bent you could have too much toe in which would cause the outer edges to wear faster. Measure your toe in.

Quick Reply: My tires are wearing on the outside!!!