Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires rubbing flares/wheel well/part of frame(?)

Old 04-26-2010, 06:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tires rubbing flares/wheel well/part of frame(?)

I have a 3" Black Diamond lift, and I am running 35" (technically 34.5" when new and 32.5" as of right now) tires. Yesterday, I tried to go up a hill and felt my left rear tire rubbing up against the wheel well/fender. See attached picture for a visual.

Also, when the rear tires were "new", they would sometimes come into contact with the piece of metal that I circled in red (second picture). The tire is worn now ... smaller in diameter ... so it is no longer an issue, but it will be again when I replace the tires.

Does anyone have any thoughts about all of this? I am not sure what to do. New fenders (or chop stock ones)? Add spacers? Body lift?

Please help. Thanks!

-Dawn Marie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	0425001906..jpg
Views:	57
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	63385   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2130..jpg
Views:	66
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	63386  
Old 04-26-2010, 07:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The second picture with the red circle is the pinch seam. Trim it down or hammer fold it over so you don't puncture your tire. Your picture of the tire at full flex looks like it's contacting more than just the outside edge of your fender flare, but I can't really tell. If it's just contacting the outside edge trim it to size (or buy new flares). If it's slamming into the entire underflare plastic area you may want some extended bump stomps.

btw, nice setup
Old 05-03-2010, 07:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, I'll have to look into modding the pinch seam. Thanks for the advice. I did a search and I see that several others have done the same thing.

Originally Posted by runit3

btw, nice setup
Thanks! Still more to come. LOD rear bumper and tire carrier came in the mail today, so looking forward to having it installed in a few days (when the rest of the parts come in ... grrr).
Old 05-03-2010, 07:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cutting the pinch seam is easy.

As far as fenders I would trim them. It takes a bit of time but I think it is worth it and if you don't like it you can then drop money on the after market ones.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If you don't want to chop the fenders, add more bumpstop

Quick Reply: Tires rubbing flares/wheel well/part of frame(?)