Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Anyone know how to replace the ABS electronic module?

Old 01-07-2017, 01:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone know how to replace the ABS electronic module?

The 08' Rubi has 73K on the clock and the ABS light tree is glowing on the dash. A shop put a code reader on it for me and it returned with code C2200, TCS disable switch. Research here and on Google shows that the ABS module is likely toast.

I would like to change it myself, but the way that it is mounted gives me concern. The hydraulic part of the module is mounted to the face of the electronic module, and the electronic module is sandwiched next to the frame of the Jeep. The hydraulic module is in front, with all the metal hydraulic lines attached to the front. I am concerned that the lines on the hydraulic module wouldn't flex much, and the only way to get to the electronic module is to unbolt and rotate the whole assembly towards the motor.

Any advice on how to get to the electronic part of the module? I checked the local dealer, the want $840 to replace the module, IF that is all that is wrong with it.

I can pick up a Mopar ABS module on Rock Auto site for about $180. I would rather do it myself if possible.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

When I had a Mercury mountaineer I got a code for a bad switch (I have an abs code reader). Turned out to be a $15 transducer on the master cylinder. Took me 5 minutes to replace. Not sure if our jeeps have such a sensor or not, but it's worth checking. It was the sensor that disables cruise when the brakes are applied.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:46 PM
JK Newbie

Default Resolution

I had been dealing with an assortment of lights on my dash as well, the ABS light, the Traction Control light (little car with squiggly lines under it) and the BAS/EAP light at the bottom of the list.

Checked all ABS wheel sensors, all wires were intact. Checked for worn wheel bearings, nope all were tight with no wobble. Had a code pulled by a local shop. Code C2200, and a diagnostic reading of "TCS disable switch".

Wound up taking it to a dealer, traced the code to a bad connection in the ABS module. They had to replace the module, reflash the ECM to accept the new module, disconnect all hydraulic brake lines during the repair, and bleed the brakes when done. Cost me $670 out the door.

Hopfully yours won't be that involved, but with the module needing replacement, only the dealer can reflash the ECM.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I found one of my sensors was broke and replaced all of them and that fixed the Christmas tree. Got the same thing when my brake was locking up enough to heat the rotor up to red glowing hot but it self resolved after it cooled down. The individual sensors aren't very expensive and unfortunately it's common they go out (pretty much everyone I talk to about it has had the same problem at one point). Maybe it's just the earlier JKs, I don't know.

Quick Reply: Anyone know how to replace the ABS electronic module?