Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spidertrax spacers & State inspections?

Old 08-08-2007, 07:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spidertrax spacers & State inspections?

I have been searching and searching, but I have yet to find this addressed. Since Spidertrax wheel spacers are for "off-road use only" and as far as I know, spacers are not DOT approved, will a vehicle pass state inspection with them on?

I just got my set and this question popped in my head
Does this vary by state? I'm in PA. I know a few mechanics that will pass anything I take them, but does anyone know for sure?
Old 08-08-2007, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do they take your wheels off during the inspection? If not how would they know they are on there?
Old 08-08-2007, 10:25 PM
JK Newbie

I ran spacers for a bit on my TJ and had to remove them to pass inspection. Like ya said, depends on where ya take it. The shop I use for inspections and crap wouldn't budge on this so I hadda take them off before and reinstall them when I got back home....and watch my turns on the way . This is for PA, can't vouch for any other states (this one gets enough of my money ).
Old 08-09-2007, 06:11 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 'drack
I ran spacers for a bit on my TJ and had to remove them to pass inspection. Like ya said, depends on where ya take it. The shop I use for inspections and crap wouldn't budge on this so I hadda take them off before and reinstall them when I got back home....and watch my turns on the way . This is for PA, can't vouch for any other states (this one gets enough of my money ).
Thanks! This is kinda what I figured. I have never used spacers before, so I wasn't sure how picky inspection station are about them. I had a set of stock wheels and tires to flip on my cherokee everytime I got it inspected. The 32's I usually ran stuck out like 2 inches The guy I use will usually inspect anything I take him, unless its something obvious like that.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:12 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by dougr5150
Do they take your wheels off during the inspection? If not how would they know they are on there?
They are supposed to pull two wheels to check brakes and rotors. At least thats how it is in PA.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

What is the general consensus on spacers? I used to run them on my dunebuggy (on road) with out any issues, but a little nervous about spacers in general on a heavier vehicle like the JK. I would check them regularly, but what do you all feel about them on a daily driver / trail vehicle?

I would like to keep the stock rubi rims with 33 or 35's, but a tad nervous about using spacers on the rubicon.

thanks!
Old 08-09-2007, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

According to the PA inspection code book:

Spacers: Spacers or similar devices thicker than 1/4 inch may not be installed to increase wheel track.

I found the Codes online here:

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06...bchapEtoc.html
Old 08-09-2007, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I lived in the Pittsburgh area for about 20 years before moving to NC. Spacers over 1/4" thick are illegal in PA. I removed them when going in for inspection. You *may* find an inspection station that will overlook it.

Here's the poop. Search for "spacer"....

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06...5/s175.80.html

EDIT: Holy crap, chvynova beat me to it. I guess I need to hunt & peck...errr...I mean type faster.

Last edited by BigO; 08-09-2007 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by swampdonkey
What is the general consensus on spacers? I used to run them on my dunebuggy (on road) with out any issues, but a little nervous about spacers in general on a heavier vehicle like the JK. I would check them regularly, but what do you all feel about them on a daily driver / trail vehicle?

I would like to keep the stock Rubi rims with 33 or 35's, but a tad nervous about using spacers on the rubicon.

thanks!
I've got a 4dr Sahara running stock Rubi rims and tires. I've got the 1.5 inch SpyderTrax, it puts the tire flush or just inside the factory flare. Looks great! I checked after about 1000 miles and all is well.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:57 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone have a link for NYS stuff?

Quick Reply: Spidertrax spacers & State inspections?