Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

DEI 508D Proximity Motion Sensor addition to stock alarm system

Old 06-15-2010, 09:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ConroeJK
Originally Posted by yomondo
install a switch inside the center console to quickly and easily enable or disable the sensor at will, particularly in the winter when the hard top and doors are back on.
Could a simple toggle switch inline with the power source for the sensor work? When turned off, the alarm should operate as normal right?
Right. That will work fine. Have you read Post #7 though? It's a great suggestion, which I'll be doing in addition to the manual disable switch.

Last edited by yomondo; 06-15-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right. That will work fine. Have you read Post #7 though? It's a great suggestion, which I'll be doing in addition to the manual disable switch.
yep, interesting, also at the maximum of my do it yourself adventures, at least without further guidance

please share what u come up with
Old 06-15-2010, 09:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ordered my motion sensor yesterday. Should be in next week sometime! I spent some time wiring up a toggle switch today for it. ran wire straight from battery with an inline fuse to the switch then a ground from the switch to frame. Now all I have to do is get my sensor and attach the power to the switch, ground it, and tap into the purple wire.

I figure I can just flip the switch off while I am driving to avoid the tailgate/dome light problem. Then turn it on whenever I want the alarm on. Or leave it off in certain situations.

Thanks for the write- up! Inspired me to do some more electrical work
Old 06-15-2010, 11:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ConroeJK
yep, interesting, also at the maximum of my do it yourself adventures, at least without further guidance

please share what u come up with
I picked up a relay and a small switch today, and I'm planning on wiring them in on Sunday if nothing else comes up. I'll update my write-up when it's done.

Originally Posted by dizk
Ordered my motion sensor yesterday. Should be in next week sometime! I spent some time wiring up a toggle switch today for it. ran wire straight from battery with an inline fuse to the switch then a ground from the switch to frame. Now all I have to do is get my sensor and attach the power to the switch, ground it, and tap into the purple wire.

I figure I can just flip the switch off while I am driving to avoid the tailgate/dome light problem. Then turn it on whenever I want the alarm on. Or leave it off in certain situations.
Right on! Yup, that'll do just fine, and will keep the installation very simple. Wiring in the relay does make the installation a bit more complicated, but will be worth not inconveniencing or frustrating the wife when she drives the Jeep.

Last edited by yomondo; 06-15-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did the rest of the wiring(as much as I could without the sensor) today. Ran power wire from middle console to switch and a ground from middle console to left dash near driver's side door(have a couple things grounded there).

Side panel:

Hole in firewall:

Ground:

Switch:

Switch:

Also I ran the trigger wire from the middle console to the passenger side area and tapped into the purple wire. I messed this part up because my set up is a bit different then yours in the picture.

Wires are situated a little different and there are multiple purple wires. I first tapped into the purple with white stripe THIS IS WRONG. After doing this I saw the multiple purple wires and wasn't sure which to tap into. I opened up the black piece of plastic on the swing gate and saw a purple wire with a red/orange stripe. This is what I suppose is the trigger wire. So I undid my first attempt and used electrical tape to cover it back up. Tapped into the purple with red/orange stripe next. Hopefully this is the right wire I guess I will find out next week!

Swing gate:

Purple Wire:

Purple Wire:

------ FYI: I have power windows and the unlimited so my center console has window switches on it. This causes taking apart the console to be a huge PIA. The wires are attached to the center console insert so you can not move it completely out unless u snap off all the parts holding it on. (plastic screw type things that hold it in place). There also seemed to be a connector just in front of the insert but it is impossible to see anything. I tried to undo the connectors but I didn't want to pull too hard as I could not see if it actually could come apart or not. This give you a little less room to work with but its not impossible just inconvenient .

Window switches:

Wires:

Last edited by dizk; 06-16-2010 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Pictures
Old 06-16-2010, 02:11 PM
JK Freak

Also I ran the trigger wire from the middle console to the passenger side area and tapped into the purple wire. I messed this part up because my set up is a bit different then yours in the picture.

Wires are situated a little different and there are multiple purple wires. I first tapped into the purple with white stripe THIS IS WRONG. After doing this I saw the multiple purple wires and wasn't sure which to tap into. I opened up the black piece of plastic on the swing gate and saw a purple wire with a red/orange stripe. This is what I suppose is the trigger wire. So I undid my first attempt and used electrical tape to cover it back up. Tapped into the purple with red/orange stripe next. Hopefully this is the right wire I guess I will find out next week!
Sounds like that's the right wire. That's the same way I figured out that it was the purple wire on my setup.

I have power windows and the unlimited so my center console has window switches on it. This causes taking apart the console to be a huge PIA. The wires are attached to the center console insert so you can not move it completely out unless u snap off all the parts holding it on.
Hmm, with those switches there, the sensor might not fit in the same place I put mine, but I'm sure there's someplace around the center console area where it will fit.

Thanks for sharing your findings!
Old 06-16-2010, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Your welcome glad to help out a great write-up!

I'm not positive but I think there will still be enough room to put in the sensor where you did yours. There looks to be enough space there still. We will find out next week though haha
Old 06-16-2010, 02:32 PM
JK Freak

Your welcome glad to help out a great write-up!
I referenced your post in the write-up, so that others won't miss it.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got my sensor in the mail today and hooked it all up.

Center console:

Crimping wires:

More crimping:

Center console:

Velcroe to insert:

All wires connected:

Zip tied:

Back together:

Finished(almost):
Old 06-17-2010, 10:48 PM
JK Freak

Got my sensor in the mail today and hooked it all up.
Right on! That was quick! Looking good!

Quick Reply: DEI 508D Proximity Motion Sensor addition to stock alarm system