Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

DEI 508D Proximity Motion Sensor addition to stock alarm system

Old 06-18-2010, 09:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would there be any point to following the tail gate wire to see where it meets up with the alarm piece? Maybe there's another input there the motion detector can be directly added to?
Old 06-18-2010, 09:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DEI 508D Proximity Motion Sensor addition to stock alarm system

Originally Posted by txjeeplover
I really like your write-up and I think installing a 5 prong auto relay could resolve your issue with the false alarm while driving. You could wire the relay so that when ignition current (any switched source that is on only when the ignition is on) is present, the circuit is open and the signal to the oem gate wire doesn't get there. Then when the ignition current is gone, the circuit closes and your the proximity module is allowed to send a signal to the oem gate wire. That would ultimately make this setup a perfect addition to the factory alarm.
I want to go this route also, I just ordered my sensor. I was wondering what a good ignition "on" power source would be. The driver's side power outlet comes to mind, but I already have my Trail Guide Garmin wired into that. I guess it wouldn't matter, I could still use it but would rather find another sorce. Also, would a fuse between the power and sensor and power and relay be a good idea? 5 amp?
Old 06-19-2010, 06:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by aristobrat
Would there be any point to following the tail gate wire to see where it meets up with the alarm piece? Maybe there's another input there the motion detector can be directly added to?
That'd be great if there was, but I just figured that there wouldn't be any reason for the stock alarm system to be expandable, so with that I assumed that there would be no additional trigger inputs to be found. But I could be wrong. If anybody knows, that'd be great information to share.

Originally Posted by ConroeJK
I want to go this route also, I just ordered my sensor. I was wondering what a good ignition "on" power source would be. The driver's side power outlet comes to mind, but I already have my Trail Guide Garmin wired into that. I guess it wouldn't matter, I could still use it but would rather find another sorce. Also, would a fuse between the power and sensor and power and relay be a good idea? 5 amp?
I was planning on using the driver-side power outlet. Tapping the additional relay to this won't add much more current. Also, I don't think the additional fuses would be necessary, but ya know, it probably wouldn't hurt either.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey guys, I hope this clears up my earlier response. I already have an aftermarket shock sensor kit installed otherwise I would install this proximity sensor with a relay to control it and post additional pics. So hopefully this can provide some guidance.

Locate a 5 pin auto relay. Any auto parts store should have one but it will require some research and parts pulling on their part. I conducted a google search for "Bosch style 5 pin auto relay" and found several for under $10.

Bosch Style 5 Pin Relay Connections
85: Ground
86: Pos Trigger (Ign)
30: Output Line
87a: Input Line (circuit is closed full time and open when 86 is triggered)
87: Input Line (circuit is open full time and closed when 86 is triggered)

So as an addendum to the original write-up:
1) Cut the line going from the proximity sensor to the OEM tailgate alarm trigger.
2) Connect the line to the OEM tailgate trigger to position 30 on the 5 prong relay.
3) Connect the line from the proximity sensor to position 87a (NOT 87)on the 5 prong relay.
4) Connect position 85 to a good ground source. You can use same ground as proximity sensor.
5) Connect position 86 to ignition positive trigger source. You can find your preferred source but I suggest the cigarette lighter which is ignition switched. Keep in mind the proximity sensor needs a constant source while the relay will need a source that is active only when the ignition is on.
6) If you’ve installed any manual switches, you may want to remove them from the circuit at this time. The only advantage to having a manual switch is if you know you’ll be sitting in or near the Jeep with the ignition off.

This addition to Yomondo’s write-up will only allow the proximity sensor to send a trigger signal to the OEM tailgate trigger when the ignition is off.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by txjeeplover; 06-20-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by txjeeplover
So as an addendum to the original write-up:
1) Cut the line going from the proximity sensor to the OEM tailgate alarm trigger.
2) Connect the line to the OEM tailgate trigger to position 30 on the 5 prong relay.
3) Connect the line from the proximity sensor to position 87a (NOT 87)on the 5 prong relay.
4) Connect position 85 to a good ground source. You can use same ground as proximity sensor.
5) Connect position 86 to ignition positive trigger source. You can find your preferred source but I suggest the cigarette lighter which is ignition switched. Keep in mind the proximity sensor needs a constant source while the relay will need a source that is active only when the ignition is on.
6) If you’ve installed any manual switches, you may want to remove them from the circuit at this time. The only advantage to having a manual switch is if you know you’ll be sitting in or near the Jeep with the ignition off.

This addition to Yomondo’s write-up will only allow the proximity sensor to send a trigger signal to the OEM tailgate trigger when the ignition is off.
txjeeplover, thanks again for helping this write-up!

I installed my relay today (I'll update the initial post shortly). One thing I did differently, is that I put the relay inline with the (+) power source to the sensor, instead of inline with the trigger wire as you did. But either way will net the same resulting behavior.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by yomondo
I installed my relay today (I'll update the initial post shortly).
I updated the write-up with my installation of the relay and manual sensor disable switch.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

I found some instructions online, that suggest it is better to put the unit lengh wise in the center of the vehical. . . . . i had this same sensor installed and it seems finiky at times, and doesn't go off when it should, for example if the top is off you can basically take anything you want from the trunk or back seat, but then its overly sensitive if you walk by the passenger side window.

Also does anybody know how many times the "valet" switch need to be pushed by default to deactivate the alarm, my installer didn't tell me . . . . .
Old 06-21-2010, 09:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by acidsnow
I found some instructions online, that suggest it is better to put the unit lengh wise in the center of the vehical. . . . . i had this same sensor installed and it seems finiky at times, and doesn't go off when it should, for example if the top is off you can basically take anything you want from the trunk or back seat, but then its overly sensitive if you walk by the passenger side window.
I may have seen the same instructions. Sounds like either way, the sensor's going to be more sensitive along sides the Jeep than in the front and/or back (depending on where the sensor is positioned) just because of the shape of the vehicle. It's rectangular, not square or round.

Originally Posted by acidsnow
Also does anybody know how many times the "valet" switch need to be pushed by default to deactivate the alarm, my installer didn't tell me . . . . .
You're not talking about the OEM alarm system, are you? The OEM alarm system doesn't have a valet switch (as far as I know).
Old 06-21-2010, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

The valet switch the installer added hidden under the dash allows you to deactivate the aftermarket alarm if you lose the remote . .. .
Old 06-21-2010, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by yomondo
I was planning on using the driver-side power outlet. Tapping the additional relay to this won't add much more current. Also, I don't think the additional fuses would be necessary, but ya know, it probably wouldn't hurt either.
In order to have an abundant supply of switched power, what I did was run a single wire from the driver side power outlet to a Relay. I then took power directly from the battery and ran it to the relay. All of my added accessories then tie into the Relay instead of the power outlet.

I started with just one thing attached to that power outlet and was nervous with how thin the wire was. So as soon as I did my next mod I added the relay and now I have no concerns.

Quick Reply: DEI 508D Proximity Motion Sensor addition to stock alarm system