Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Help! I spliced a wire and now my air bag light is on.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! I spliced a wire and now my air bag light is on.

OK so I was installing a motion sensor which ties into the stock JK alarm following the instructions my good friend yomondo wrote up a few weeks ago.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...k-alarm-system

I however seem to be color blind and I spliced into a pink wire with an orange stripe due to poor lighting.

I was thinking that I had the purple wire with the orange stripe which is the wire that tells the jeep the tail gate is open.

This pink/orange wire is located on the floor on the passenger side by where your feet would be and is coming up out of the lower trim panel in the very lower front corner of the Jeep.

Still thinking I had spliced to the correct wire, I checked it with a volt meter and saw that it wasn't hot. So knowing that the wire I wanted needed to be grounded in order to trip the alarm I tied the pink with orange stripe wire to a ground. I was hoping to see if the dash would say gate indicating I had the correct wire.

It didn't. So I kept looking and found I had the wrong wire. I undid my splice and wrapped the wire with tape. I then spliced the correct wire and the motion sensor is working correctly and all was good... or I thought it was at least.

Then I went for a drive and now my airbag light is on.

Does anyone know what the heck that pink with orange stripe wire is? Is it even related to the air bag or if I am just having bad luck and its a coincidence the light came on when it did?

I checked all the fuses and pulled the battery cable off for an hour hoping it would reset with no luck. I tried an ODBII code reader and got no codes. Anything else anyone can think of to try?
Old 06-27-2010, 07:26 PM
JK Freak

I have no idea what that wire is but, try disconnecting both the positive and negative battery cables. Touch them together for about 10 second. This usually clears the computer and should get rid of the air bag light, unless you burned up a relay or a fuse...
(I have used this method on both my WJ and JK, it works)
Old 06-27-2010, 07:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sgmrock
I have no idea what that wire is but, try disconnecting both the positive and negative battery cables. Touch them together for about 10 second. This usually clears the computer and should get rid of the air bag light, unless you burned up a relay or a fuse...
(I have used this method on both my WJ and JK, it works)
THanks for the tip, I gave it a shot but it didn't clear the air bag light, or if it did it just came right back on.

I checked the fuse box for a burnt fuse but didn't see one. Also I looked at the diagram on the cover and it didn't list an airbag fuse (or else I missed it).

This confused me, shouldn't there be a fuse for it? If you know which number the fuse is for the air bag let me know and I will double check it.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:58 PM
JK Freak

I don't know if there is a fuse for it. In the JK's, Jeep uses not only fuses but also TIPM (totally integrated power management) (Jeep service manager told me this last year before they got shut down) I had to have mine replaced (under warranty) because the Mopar fog lights kept over loading it, Try doing some research on this...just my wild ass guess! Sorry I couldn't be of more help...
Old 06-28-2010, 02:04 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sgmrock
I don't know if there is a fuse for it. In the JK's, Jeep uses not only fuses but also TIPM (totally integrated power management) (Jeep service manager told me this last year before they got shut down) I had to have mine replaced (under warranty) because the Mopar fog lights kept over loading it, Try doing some research on this...just my wild ass guess! Sorry I couldn't be of more help...
Woo Hoo! It was just a fuse.

Took it to the dealer and they had it for a couple hours and when I called to check on it they said they found a bad fuse. No idea where because I looked at them several times.

Anyway I drove it about 45 miles and no lights. I must have got across a circuit and popped it without noticing.

Problem Solved!

Quick Reply: Help! I spliced a wire and now my air bag light is on.