Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Tell us a bit about your death wobble
Stock Jeep. Identified the problem. Hasn't recurred.
10.87%
Stock Jeep. Thought I solved it. It came back.
4.35%
Stock Jeep. Had it but haven't tried to fix it.
6.52%
2-3" Lift. Identified the problem. Hasn't recurred.
21.74%
2-3" Lift. Thought I solved it. It came back.
13.04%
2-3" Lift. Had it but haven't tried to fix it.
10.87%
3"+ Lift. Identified the problem. Hasn't recurred.
23.91%
3"+ Lift. Thought I solved it. It came back.
4.35%
3"+ Lift. Had it but haven't tried to fix it.
4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Death Wobble Poll

Old 07-03-2010, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacation Death Wobble

This is the first time for us to post anything since we usually try to listen instead of speak. We recently went on vac. at Gatlinburg and over to Ashville in my wifes 08 stock wrangler with approx. 34,000 mi. On our trip to Ashville on the interstate I have never seen so many 18 wheelers bumper to bumper trying to maintain their speed so they could get up the next hill which I respect. There was one major problem in that the first overpass we came to when we were making the transition we experienced what I would consider the death wobble. The only way to stop this until it could be repaired was to get on the brakes hard. I tried to drive through it once but that did not work. Long story short, we made our way back to Knoxville, TN which were still about 500 miles from home and I didn't really want to have to drive home at 50 mph. We found a dealer Jim Cogdill Dodge and met a lady named Wendy in the service dept. I'll make this short. We could not have been treated any better and taken care of by them. They replaced the trac bar and new stablilizer and sent us on our way. This cured the problem. Needless to say the 11/2 trip to Ashville in the hills and 11/2 trip back was not fun. Sorry to the drivers that had to put up with us.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can't take part in your poll, i'm on my 2nd jk and have never had death wobble. still running fine.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default had it a while back

had it when i was on my way back from colorado. I was coming down wolf creek pass ans i hit my brakes and one hell of a wobble started. it only happened that one time and hasnt happened again. so heck i dont know if thats what it really was, but sure scared the heck out of me. if it was warped rotors it would wobble all the time, same thing if it was out of alignment....so hopefully it never happens again.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

i had it several times and its holly shit, been fix ..never show up again
Old 07-06-2010, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

X2 Beel MT--

3" lift, heavy TOYO tires and never have had it........10K in 5 months......
Old 07-06-2010, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
X3

Never had it in either of our JKs, and 08 with a 6" long arm and an 07 that has been on a 2.5" BB and is currently on a 3" spring lift.

Death Wobble is almost always caused by improperly installed or maintained steering and suspension components--usually the trackbar.

When it is not from improperly installed or maintain parts, it is from damaged or failing parts.

Death Wobble has absolutely nothing to do with lift height.

It is most common with short lifts caused by inexperienced installers. Although, there are several improper installs of "budget," incomplete 4" lifts that experience Death Wobble.

No properly installed and maintained JK, regardless of stock or lifted, will experience Death Wobble unless it is from broken or damaged parts.

Come on guys, I did a complete write-up that explains everything about Death Wobble.

If you have it, fix it immediately before you break or damage parts.

If you don't have it, properly maintain your rig--re-torque the suspension components after every oil change and after every extended wheeling trip.

It is no mystery...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...es-and-Wobbles
Thank goodness someone has got this right...Great write up..
I can't believe how much mis information is floating around on this subject...Wayoflife has explained this over and over in plain english and we still have folks replacing the steering stablizer as a fix..
Old 07-06-2010, 08:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TX2PR2SC
Where's the, never had to worry about it, never had the problem option?
The purpose of the poll wasn't to figure out how many people have had it. The purpose was to get a sense of when it occurs and how successful people have been in dealing with it. Glad you haven't had it yet, but that data is irrelevant in this context.

Originally Posted by planman
No properly installed and maintained JK, regardless of stock or lifted, will experience Death Wobble unless it is from broken or damaged parts.
Planman, you know how much I agree with and respect 99% of what you've written about DW. Your study and writings on this issue have been a godsend for the JK community.

But this may be the 1% where I disagree. Are you saying that these folks who are getting stock DW should have known to check their track bars at every oil change? It seems to me like the stress placed on the JK's track bar causes gradual degradation of the suspension components regardless of whether the vehicle was off-roaded or abused.

If that's the case, then Jeep needs to be describing it to people as a part requiring regular service and maintenance, which they do not currently do.

Last edited by JK-Tex; 07-06-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:32 AM
JK Newbie

Default This is "one sad poll" for such a devastatingly obscure, yet huge issue !!!!!

I'm in an 08 with 301500 kms.I purchased it on May28 2016 with 297??? k's About 2 weeks later I got my first  by "DEATH BY DODGE" speed wobble going over the train tracks. Scared the "SHIT" OUT OF ME !!!! I pulled over and to my suprise, the left front wheel was "STILL THERE"!!!! I when to the moronic dealer ship who just 2 weeks earlier passed the safety with no horn or parking brake  and they told me that every thing was tight(INCLUDING THE TRAC BAR!). Sure enough 2 weeks later coming down a steep little hill with a tiny corner onto a creek cement bridge and the corner has a bit of a good bump and "GUESS WHAT HAPPENED"? ITS A GOOD THING I'M A RETIRED COUNTRY FRIED PARAMEDIC AND BIG CITY BODY GUARD .CAUSE THIS MAN "CAN WHEEL A WHIP"!! .But by the good graces of GOD i was able to drive out of it as I slowed hanging on to "DONKEY KONG". So within a month i had changed to 20" wheels and 35" tires. When i am doing that DEMONIC DANCE BETWEEN 45-55MPH AND HIT A HUGE BUMP ,I EXPECT "STHTF" BUT NOTHING HAPPENS ANY MORE!!! IM AT A TOLAL LOSS.IS IT BECAUSE OF ALL THAT EXTRA WEIGHT IN THOSE NEW WHEELS N TIRES? THAT THEY JUST DON'T SPEED WOBBLE NOW ? OR "WHAT"!!!!! ANN LANDERS ,WHERE R U ? ALL THOUGH I WILL CHECK THE TRAC BAR AGAIN.GUESS I MAY GET THAT LIFT SOONER THAN LATER IF THERE IS AN ISSUE .GLAD I FOUND SOMETHING AT LEAST.WHAT A FANTASTIC FORUM .

Last edited by BODACIOUS; 08-21-2016 at 01:43 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd say that likely more than 70% of reported "death wobble" cases aren't death wobble at all but merely the stability control kicking.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Stability control is completely different than death wobble. Your brakes pulsing and grabbing a little is different than your steering wheel moving 90* between your hands and both front tires shaking violently side to side.

Maintenance is key. Fail to maintain your suspension torque and you will experience the joys of death wobble. It's pretty simple to avoid it though.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble Poll