Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Tell us a bit about your death wobble
Stock Jeep. Identified the problem. Hasn't recurred.
10.87%
Stock Jeep. Thought I solved it. It came back.
4.35%
Stock Jeep. Had it but haven't tried to fix it.
6.52%
2-3" Lift. Identified the problem. Hasn't recurred.
21.74%
2-3" Lift. Thought I solved it. It came back.
13.04%
2-3" Lift. Had it but haven't tried to fix it.
10.87%
3"+ Lift. Identified the problem. Hasn't recurred.
23.91%
3"+ Lift. Thought I solved it. It came back.
4.35%
3"+ Lift. Had it but haven't tried to fix it.
4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Death Wobble Poll

Old 08-21-2016, 12:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Stability control is completely different than death wobble. Your brakes pulsing and grabbing a little is different than your steering wheel moving 90* between your hands and both front tires shaking violently side to side.

Maintenance is key. Fail to maintain your suspension torque and you will experience the joys of death wobble. It's pretty simple to avoid it though.
Exactly. And a lot of people cannot distinguish one from the other.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just started getting DW a couple weeks ago when I drive over weird road bumps. Friday I'm installing a bunch of parts. Hd track bar, hd front axle u joints.

I'm also putting the reel hd 1310 drive shafts in as my stockers are wobbling and vibrating.

For the horrible rear end tail wag, I'm putting in a rear trackbar relocation bracket.

In September, I'm gonna throw in the rear adjustable swaybar links and move the rears to the front. Also new steel wheels and new tires... Get rid of the factory wheels, out of balance tires, and spacers.

I'm also replacing the front end bolts and throwing steel brake lines in.

Anyways, I think this will not only fix the DW but the whole ride in general will improve. thats the hope anyways.

I checked the torques and they are all good. I think the track bar is actually flexing. I know my wheels and tires are out of balance. The tire guys said they've never had to put so much lead on wheels before. And my u joints are bad. I checked my aftermarket steering stabilizer to see if it still works and it does, but I'm not interested in bandaid fixing dw anyways.

Most important thing is to diagnose problems then deal with them accordingly instead of throwing parts at it.

BTW, for those who are not sure if its DW or some other shimmy you're experiencing... If you have to ask, it's not dw.

Its called death wobble for a reason lol. Feels like someone took a jackhammer to your front axle.

Last edited by BROWNING3250CAL; 08-24-2016 at 02:02 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Are all of your parts bad or are you just throwing parts at it because you can? You're missing the tie rod and drag link if you really want to be comprehensive on replacing everything.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Are all of your parts bad or are you just throwing parts at it because you can? You're missing the tie rod and drag link if you really want to be comprehensive on replacing everything.

My mechanic says my tie rod and drag link are ok. Im not an expert but if you think i should replace them as well, I'm always receptive to the advice of more experienc4d Jeepers.

I didn't want to throw parts at it unless I was sure they were in need of replacement but if you think I should then Ill buy those as well. Which tie rod and drag link do you recommend? Thanks for the advice btw.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

Today... installed my teraflex hd trackbar, grade 8 bolt kit, steel extended brake lines, and rear trackbar relocation bracket. My death wobble is totally gone. Jeep feel stiff, smooth, tight, and responsive in road handling. Its like night and day. The rear end is firm and tight and doesn't wag back and forth anymore.

A couple things though... my esp/bas light flash and my abs vibrates through the brake pedal in the first 5 minutes of driving. Then those lights just stay solid. Anyone have any ideas why?

I then took the Jeep to my mechanic buddy. He said he won't try putting the drive shafts in because its too delicate/risky. Said he doesn't want to over torque the crush sleeve and to take it to a rear end specialty shop.

When my rear sway bar links arrive, Ill throw them on. When the u joints and outer axle tube seals arrive, Ill get him to do those.

In Sept I will get new tires to go with my new wheels. Current tires are out of balance and need replacing.

So far, I'm super stoked about the results.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I was simply looking at your parts list- obviously someone who can physically put their hands on the vehicle and the parts will be a better indication of what is good or bad.

To your ABS issue- you've bled the brakes thoroughly and ensured there is plenty of fluid in the reservoir? The pulsation followed by a constant light isn't something I've seen but usually the light is due to fluid and the pulsation could be the system's way of 'sensing' something isn't right then you get your light indicating that the system has been disabled.

Do you have friends with a superchips that may be able to read that ABS code? Typical auto parts store code readers and generic Bluetooth readers don't usually have that capability.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:01 PM
JK Newbie

Hey, thanks for the reply. Yeah I did bleed the brakes and added fluid. Maybe I need to add a bit more. I have a bullydog tuner that reads and clears dtc but its not showing anything about the esp, abs lights. I'm gonna investigate further...

Oh and I think beefing up the tie rod and drag link are great ideas. I've added those to the list. As I said, I'm blown away by the ride quality just from doing what I've done so far.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Had it at 35k. Jeep had level kit at 33s at time. Drag link end at knuckle was cause and new draglink was the solution. Followed planman's guide (thank you planman and the forums).
Old 08-30-2016, 01:13 AM
JK Newbie

Esp/Bas lights on because steering wheel is off center due to adding the Teraflex adjustable trackbar. Will recenter this weekend.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Don't forget that death wobble can even be triggered just from having too much mud caked onto your wheels throwing them waaaaaay out of balance. So there doesn't actually HAVE to be anything physically wrong with the suspension to get death wobble.
I had the pleasure of that experience a few weeks ago. Had to stop and scrape the mud out.
The only other time I've had it was when my lift was first installed. I had it done by the dealer because I have a life time warranty and didn't want them blaming an improper lift install every time something broke. They couldn't figure out what it was from and stuck me with figuring it out. Turned out I had a control arm bushing with the bolt froze to the sleeve and mount. If they did a proper lift install they woulda caught that. Busted the bolt out and never seized all my control arm bolts. No problems except the mud since.

Last edited by kevinlee; 08-30-2016 at 03:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble Poll