Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Ipad Integration insight and ideas

Old 07-08-2010, 02:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipad Integration insight and ideas

Hey everyone I know im not the first to think of this, and seen COP4x4's install aswell. Im looking to install my ipad, at first I wanted to keep the mygig in order to keep it simple and just lay the ipad over the mygig. But after looking around it looks like I have figured out a way to integrate the ipad without having to completely tear apart the already built-in infinity system. This is just a thread to start some insight amongst any audiophiles that want to contribute to methods. Im looking to temporarily integrate into the infinity system as funds allow replacement components to the audio system.

First method:
Use Mygig Aux input on back to feed in audio from ipad via the ipad dock connector
build a mount to lay over the mygig while allow easy removal to use factory radio or Mygig
For the custom mount, it will be a fold down display, think of the tuffy stereo cover. Im looking at building a mount that slides on cabinet rails, when pulled out from about the center stack it will fold down and over the Radio.
Pros:
-Retain Factory system incase of later selling point
-Minimal customization
-Build unique flip-down assembly with ipad mount (similar to the tuffy stereo cover)
Con's
-when ipad is covering radio or Mygig, adjusting volume will be cumbersome, its a minor nuisance some can live with but defeats the point of "integration"

Second Method
Use JL Cleansweep CL-441DSP which features a digital EQ and can be used in-line for OEM radio as well has a volume control and an AUX IN that can be controlled via the volume control.
Connect JL unit outputs to a Metra or Scosche Interface unit,
the interface unit lets you connect an aftermarket radio to canbus and retain factory amplified system. This way I should be able to retain infinity amplified system.
This will allow me to completely removed the Mygig from the jeep and use the space for mounting location similar to Cop4x4's but in my case I want to slide my Ipad onto the Ipad dock, for this I will look at build a mount with a ipad dock built in, the mount will sit on a hinge, with push-locks, when pushed into place the mount will sink into dash, and when pushed again it will unclip from the lock and hinge out in order to slide out Ipad.
Pro's
-Full Integration
Con's
-Loose Compass capability
-Loose Back-up Camera

This is just an experimental thread for info and ideas, any input is welcomed. Im just in the process of ordering bits and pieces and once I start building it together I will update. Ofcourse I think im gonna try both methods since I dont want to completely remove the mygig but I will try multiple approaches from different angles.

If some of the stuff I said for the mounting ideas is hard to understand, im sorry but its hard to covert ideas into exacts words, unless you were here I could visually give you an idea.

Let the ideas, thoughts, and flaming ensue (for those special trolls)

Quick Reply: Ipad Integration insight and ideas