Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Wiring for Powerpole

Old 07-18-2007, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring for Powerpole

I want to wire my JK for Anderson Powerpole connectors to run all my extra "stuff", incuding CB radio, ham radio, GPS, laptop, and anything else. I'm thinking of mounting a RIGrunner 4005 or MFJ-1126 under the glove box, and also one mounted in the trunk area that I can easily disconnect from the Jeep battery and connect to a portable gell cell. Then I'll fit powerpoles on all of my gadgets to easily connect into the distributor.

Has anyone done something like this? Anything I should watch out for? To be honest, I'm not sure what the rating is of the stock battery, although I know the alternator is 160-amp so that should power a bunch of stuff.

Let me know your thoughts. This is going to take me a few weeks (when is payday again???), and I'll take some pictures.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Here is how I wired my fuse block

The under hood pic shows the bat wires on top snaking toward the firewall on the left side then it goes straight down and through the firewall grommet up by the passenger kick panel to the back of the glove box.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse block.JPG
Views:	433
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	2399   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse block 2.JPG
Views:	377
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	2400   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse block 3.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	2401   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse block 4.JPG
Views:	361
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	2402  

Last edited by kb7our; 07-18-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

kb6our, thanks! That looks great, and good thinking on attaching it directly to the kick panel. I also see a round hole on your kick panel i assume is for a CB mic or somethin?
Old 07-18-2007, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes the round hole on the left side is for the Cobra CB mic socket...but I changed my mind and mounted it in the center console area so eventually I will either plug the hole with a snap in plastic plug or replace the kick panel under the glove box.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Finally finished installing my RIGrunner.

Here is a photo of the RIGrunner next to my Cobra 75 CB box. You can see I installed PowerPoles on the CB power supply.

Here I have connected a PowerPole connection to the battery, with 40 AMP fuses on both the positive and negative (overkill, but in line with good amatuer practice). I like this so that I can quick-disconnect from the battery if I want.

Here you can see I have attached the RIGrunner to the kickplate. I chose to use industrial strength velcro. You can also see in the picture I have the Cobra 75 CB box attached under the glove box area using cable ties.

So far so good. I like this setup. When I get my Kenwood D710 I'll hook that into the PowerPoles as well. I am thinking I'll also run a PowerPole cable to the rear seats for passenger use.

The RIGrunner is connected to the battery with a PowerPole cable run through the firewall.

This is fun!

Last edited by MileHighAko; 07-25-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Clean install, safe, very nice!
Old 07-27-2007, 04:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree...very nice!

Quick Reply: Wiring for Powerpole