Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: (Check all that apply) My Jeep Wrangler has between 30K and 50K miles, and...
I have no engine issues
85.67%
I have engine issues, and I use 5W-20 and have no engine mods or water events
10.92%
I have engine issues, and I use a different weight oil
2.05%
I have engine issues, and I have engine mods
2.05%
I have engine issues, and have hit some major water obstacles
0.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

30K - 50K mile engine issues poll

Old 12-30-2010, 12:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Starting to see issues with my 2007 unlimited's engine now at 50,000. Burning oil and water pump seal is leaking.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have 20,000 km on my 2010 JK and so far no problems. I just switched to 5w30 (full synthetic) instead of the 5w20 weight. This should add a bit more protection and hopefully keep the engine going a bit longer.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Flip94ta

Just another reason to wait for the 3.6L. 70,000 miles is the highest miles I've seen in this thread and 15% of folks have issues?!? That's terrible. It's 2011 and Chrysler is still selling cars that consume oil? A $30,000 car at that. The 4.2L I-6 in my Rainier gets oil changes in the 10-12K mile range per the oil life monitor and has never needed any oil added and we are at 97k with it. Of our 7 cars that we have taken over 100k and then sold only our Nissan Altima 2.5L used oil, 1 quart per 5k. It was also known as an oil burner, some actually caught fire when ran
low.

I am really trying to wait for the 2012's and this thread reinforces that.
Thats why we bought them in the lifetime warranty period. If you think the 3.6 is the saving grace for your Jeep wet dreams you are in for a surprise. Make sure you buy the 2012 and stay on this forum an keep us updated. Lol
Old 12-30-2010, 03:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by gtrman33
I have heard that Jeep got rid of the inline 4.0 6cyl since it was so bulletproof. It was hurting their maintenance program. They switched to the v-6 3.8 since they realized that motor would require maintenance to keep it on the road.

Just what I heard but that wouldn't surprise me.
I think is was more that it wasnt passing the upcoming emmisions figures and they didnt want to retool for a different motor so they went with a dodge motor
Old 01-04-2011, 03:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EarlyJk
Thats why we bought them in the lifetime warranty period. If you think the 3.6 is the saving grace for your Jeep wet dreams you are in for a surprise. Make sure you buy the 2012 and stay on this forum an keep us updated. Lol
agreed. have you been able to use your warranty without issues? I also have that 09 bailout package where bumper to bumper full warranty for life I have her. But I have read where people were having issues actually getting chrysler to continue working past certain points. Mine currently is bone stock, but I had plans for her when I get back. Seems I might heavily reconsider the lifting part, I don't want to void any warranty work.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Any Clime

agreed. have you been able to use your warranty without issues? I also have that 09 bailout package where bumper to bumper full warranty for life I have her. But I have read where people were having issues actually getting chrysler to continue working past certain points. Mine currently is bone stock, but I had plans for her when I get back. Seems I might heavily reconsider the lifting part, I don't want to void any warranty work.
I have a 2in spacer lift an run 33 mudders with a cai an mrbp offroad exaust and chip and i have had no issues so far. I think its a crap shoot on the dealer you have. I let my dealer do all my routine maint. just to keep in good with them. It also helps to let them know that you are loyal to the jeep brand an plan to continue buying jeep for years to come. In my case it is my 4th jeep an 3 were bought from this dealership... So that helps.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:32 AM
JK Freak

None as described in here...just a phantom steering issue that can not be resolved. Gear box is what I am told is their best guess...we'll wait and see if the steering just implodes one day and leads to a wreck...maybe they can get it fixed then!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RubiDude
None as described in here...just a phantom steering issue that can not be resolved. Gear box is what I am told is their best guess...we'll wait and see if the steering just implodes one day and leads to a wreck...maybe they can get it fixed then!
what is the steering issue? kinda had one myself. a knocking sometimes.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by EarlyJk

I have driven the GM 3.6L in several vehicles as well as Nissans VQ. From a power standpoint I see the pentastar with VvT and a variable intake being well ahead of the 3.8L, probably as early as 1500rpm in the power curve. I cant find a weight listing for the 3.8l but the pentastar weighs 94lbs less than the 3.7L. that's a nice bonus. I feel the engine will be reliable enough, atleast better than a 15% fail rate by 50K of the 3.8.L I plan on a M6, if offered, to keep the complexity down cause it seems likely that the A5 would be the first automatic.

So is anyone doing compression checks with their oil consumption? Does Chrysler publish a minimum spec? For those who wonder if burning oil is bad for the motor, one problem is if enough oil is in the chamber when it fires you can have detonation, if that occurs, timing will be pulled by the ecu and power and mpgs will be effected. It could be a possibility for the worse burners.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Burke-FL
60k on a perfectly maintained engine since new with synthetic. Bearing went bad, looking for another motor. Water pump bad as well. So sad for my first experience with jeep. My 15 year old Land Rover Defender has twice the mileage and never a single issue. This was the first American car I have had in twenty years. Seems that there was a reason for that.
This is why "Made in the USA" means absolutely NOTHING to me.

Quick Reply: 30K - 50K mile engine issues poll