Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rewiring Rubicon Lockers

Old 08-19-2010, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the other wiring diagram.

http://www.dzine4u.com/jeep/locker_dia.jpg
Old 08-25-2010, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, here we go. If you take off the inner panel on the passenger side up front you will see the harness right above the frame rail.

If you disconnect it you can pull it below the frame rail where you will have plenty of room to unwrap it and put a connector inline with it like this. I don't have detailed pictures of installing the plug but it's pretty straight forward. Unwrap the harness, separate the 6 wires that I showed you earlier and put a plug inline with them. Then re-wrap everything up nice and neat.

I then put a cap on the plug side and connected my harness into the plug going to the lockers.

Here's everything plugged in an up and out of the way.

I ended up drilling a new hole in the firewall right below where the factory harness goes through. I put a rubber grommet in it and taped up my harness enought that I get a tight seal there. I've got everything running through this hole. it's got the power to my lights, power and status to the lockers, power to my aux fuse block and the wiring needed for my wireless winch control box.

Everything run nice and neat. You can see the plug at the top in the middle that goes to my lights. If you look closely you can also see where the harness brances off for the ground for the status lights and the power for the aux fuse block. Those run up right by the factory fuse block. There is two grounding bolts right there that I use to ground the return form the locker status switches. I don't have pictures of that.

I located the aux fuse block on the passenger side as far up in the foot well as I could go. It's far enough up there that it's not in the way. You would really have to be trying to kick it there. To break it you would have to kick it extremely hard also so I'm not worried about it. Plus it's easy access.

Here's the wiring behind the center dash plugging into the switch panel.

Last edited by TheScientist; 08-25-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looking down in the engine compartment you can see the connection to the factory harness.

I'm having the 1st, 3rd, 5th issue with the boot turning off the switches so I'm going to relocate it above the rear view mirror like I've seen other people on here do.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

On a side note the wireless set up for a Superwinch is pretty slick. Not only do you get the wireless remotes you also get a control box to mount in the cab.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry I don't have more detailed pictures of all of this. Between mounting the new bumper, winch and driving lights, front leveling kit, and all the wiring I didn't really have time to go step by step with the pictures. But after a long hard weekend the Jeep went from this:

To this:

Old 08-30-2010, 04:18 PM
JK Super Freak

thanks so much for the write up. i added this to my to do list and i like the way you set this up. your jeep is coming along nicely. i like the bumper its def a expedition look. i may end up shooting you a pm for some help when i do this. my electrical skills are not up to par lol. you might make a new thread in the write up forum more people will look for it there i think. thanks again
Old 08-31-2010, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by codysanders
thanks so much for the write up. i added this to my to do list and i like the way you set this up. your jeep is coming along nicely. i like the bumper its def a expedition look. i may end up shooting you a pm for some help when i do this. my electrical skills are not up to par lol. you might make a new thread in the write up forum more people will look for it there i think. thanks again
When I do the final sort out of everything I might put it in the write up section. The issue I have found is that the way the switch is. When I turn them on the status light tells me when they are locked like it is supposed to. However, when I turn them off it kills the light instantly so I have no status saying that the locker hasn't let go yet. The solution is to get switches like I used on the driving light that have the top and bottom light wired independently. The problem with that is that switch is a prototype switch from Carling that I managed to get a hold of. As of right now there are no more. If I can get a second one then it's all good, I'll just rewire my driving lights with another switch and use that one with the new one. But, that would make putting the part numbers in the write up pointless since the parts are not available.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:19 AM
JK Newbie

What about ESP. Does it still baby sit you with this set up?
Old 12-04-2010, 08:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheScientist
Correct. I will have full control over them. Lock just front or just back or both when ever I want. You can even lock the rear in 2 hi to have some fun in the snow. Here's the switch panel that I'm wiring in to control it all. The top lights will come on and dim with the dash lights and the bottom lights will be the status lights for the lockers.

Mind if I ask where you got the switch actuator caps from? Ive been looking everywhere for them.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RockGod
What about ESP. Does it still baby sit you with this set up?
I also have the ESP disable switch on the dash that completely kills all ESP, BAS and ABS functions.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...witch-Write-up

Quick Reply: Rewiring Rubicon Lockers