Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rewiring Rubicon Lockers

Old 12-04-2010, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racin444
Mind if I ask where you got the switch actuator caps from? Ive been looking everywhere for them.
otrattw dot com. Great guy to deal with. Give him a call if you have any questions. He will find you a switch that will work for any application that you can think of.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheScientist
otrattw dot com. Great guy to deal with. Give him a call if you have any questions. He will find you a switch that will work for any application that you can think of.
Much appreciated! Thanks a lot man!
Old 01-29-2012, 05:26 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for this, I am looking for the same thing and appreciate you sharing this with us.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Dredging this one back up as I'm exploring ways to activate the Rubi lockers using my sPOD. Would like to thank the OP for all his work and for the write-up.

What he did was to hot switch the locker coils directly, eliminating the interaction of the JK's control module programming, which, once the JK Nanny is satisfied, activate the lockers by grounding the relays as instructed by the dash switch. The more common, and far simpler method of adding switches to ground the relays independent of the control uint works fine, but can't be accomplished using an sPOD. sPODs switch hot current on/off, not ground. Studying the FSM diagrams for awhile I came to a similar conclusion as the OP, i.e., that I can use the sPOD's relays to switch hot power to the locker coils and not use the stock locker system at all. I'd remove the yellow (with trace) wires from the factory locker relays and patch in leads from two sPOD relays, to be controlled by two of the switches, on for front & one for rear. The locker coils are permanently grounded so all I'd have to do is flick the sPOD switch for the respective locker, the relay would close and B+ current would flow to the locker coil & engage it. sPOD switches illuminate when their circuits are on, so no need to rig separate activation lights. All seems cool....but NO! Where I'm stumped is what to do with the stock locker engagement dash lights, which illuminate via mechanical switches in the differentials when the locker is fully engaged, or flash if there's either a malfuntion or if one attempts to activate the lockers in a "forbidden" mode, like 4HI. I'm assuming if I use the sPOD to switch the coils the lockers will work fine, but the locker system dash lights will illuminate and flash on & off, as if there's a malfunction. Anyone know how to essentially "kill" the locker systems dash lights so they won't flash? I pored over the FSM diagrams today and couldn't find any reference to those light switches anywhere. The only thing I can think of would be to just snip or unplug the wires. Hope all this makes some sense, thanks fro any thoughts!

Last edited by SoK66; 12-29-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:27 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

I believe the locker sensor switch closes when the locker moves to the locked position.
If you disconnect the harness connector on the switch, wouldn't that allow you to lock the differential without the computer ever knowing it? If the computer knows when the switch is disconnected, then cut off the plunger.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

wow, would "torx"? work>? using a tablet maybe? Iv heard of programs that " speak " the ODB language, could one utilize a program that can monitor the OBD system? chasing wire is easy, lets see an on board processor work this out. I dont want a bunch of ROCKER switches in my jeep, what is this 1987!
Old 12-29-2014, 07:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I believe the locker sensor switch closes when the locker moves to the locked position.
If you disconnect the harness connector on the switch, wouldn't that allow you to lock the differential without the computer ever knowing it? If the computer knows when the switch is disconnected, then cut off the plunger.
Perhaps the solution is, as Ross Perot used to say, "just that simple". If the dash light ground never got completed via the sensor switch in the diff maybe the "Locker Nanny" wouldn't know what the kids were up to and wouldn't start flashing the frickin' dash light(s) or call Life Alert, etc. Problem with the sPOD method is that it will effectively disable the stock locker system, unlike the bypass method, which leaves it intact. I'll have to ponder this one......
Old 12-30-2014, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can always pull the bulbs out of the dash....or use black electrical tape.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 12-30-2014, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

On a more serious note, I actually wired in a second relay so that when the switch went hot, it closed a relay that sent a ground to the factory locker. My system allows the full factory system to operate as normal or be over-ridden if I choose to do so.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: Rewiring Rubicon Lockers