Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Harken 4-point Hardtop hoist write-up and initial review

Old 08-17-2010, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harken 4-point Hardtop hoist write-up and initial review

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a Harken 4-point Hoister to install in the garage. The product number is 7803.B. You can purchase it at Quadratec, but I actually picked mine up off of Ebay for a little bit cheaper and included free shipping.

The complete instructions can be found at the link below so I am not going to reinvint the off-road wheel on this one.

http://www.hoister.com/assets/4907Jeep.pdf

My initial thoughts are this: It was really pretty easy to install. The most difficult part for me was attaching the boards to the ceiling. I am in an apartment and the ceiling has metal rafters rather then wood. I could not use lag boats to attach it so I had to use toggle bolts and make sure I spanned multiple rafters. I called Harken to see if they had done any testing on metal rafters with toggles and the rep said that he was unsure but if I spanned multiple rafters it should be fine. He suggested spanning three, I did four.

After that it was pretty simple with the exception of getting the strap tied to the lift ropes at the right height so that the top will raise level. I finally got mine level after a little bit of trial and error. If you do not get the top to raise level then it is tough to get it to lover all the way because the weight is supported by the Jeep when it reaches the body.

Lifting is a breeze and lowering it is really easy to (once you get it level). The top has been hanging from the ceiling for three days now. I was going to try and engineer my own but the cost in materials to build what I wanted would have been about the same as the cost of this kit. I recommend it if you are looking for something to raise that top.

I'll have some pictures posted later today.

Last edited by Dizzyliz; 08-17-2010 at 08:08 AM. Reason: please do not post direct links to non-sponsors
Old 08-17-2010, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AustinGT
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a Harken 4-point Hoister to install in the garage. The product number is 7803.B. You can purchase it at Quadratec, but I actually picked mine up off of Ebay for a little bit cheaper and included free shipping.

The complete instructions can be found at the link below so I am not going to reinvint the off-road wheel on this one.

http://www.hoister.com/assets/4907Jeep.pdf

My initial thoughts are this: It was really pretty easy to install. The most difficult part for me was attaching the boards to the ceiling. I am in an apartment and the ceiling has metal rafters rather then wood. I could not use lag boats to attach it so I had to use toggle bolts and make sure I spanned multiple rafters. I called Harken to see if they had done any testing on metal rafters with toggles and the rep said that he was unsure but if I spanned multiple rafters it should be fine. He suggested spanning three, I did four.

After that it was pretty simple with the exception of getting the strap tied to the lift ropes at the right height so that the top will raise level. I finally got mine level after a little bit of trial and error. If you do not get the top to raise level then it is tough to get it to lover all the way because the weight is supported by the Jeep when it reaches the body.

Lifting is a breeze and lowering it is really easy to (once you get it level). The top has been hanging from the ceiling for three days now. I was going to try and engineer my own but the cost in materials to build what I wanted would have been about the same as the cost of this kit. I recommend it if you are looking for something to raise that top.

I'll have some pictures posted later today.
I am very happy with mine. I found the hardest part was getting the boards on the ceiling as well. I have standard wood joists, but they are not exactly on center, so that was a bit of a challenge, as well as the 12ft. ceiling in my garage...two day intense ladder workout. It is pretty effortless and easy to operate though and happy I bought it...got mine off eBay also.

Last edited by Dizzyliz; 08-17-2010 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Please see abouve edit note (fixed link in quote)
Old 08-31-2010, 06:35 AM
JK Newbie

I got one of these as well, ordered from quadratec, came the next day!!! installation is pretty easy and the directions are pretty good. I had some extra wood from when i built my deck, so no more out of pocket expense for me. total time took about 1 1/2 hrs to install the lift and remove my hardtop.....it took me longer to figure out how to get the soft top on completly and correctly for the first time!

word to the wise, if this is your first time removing your hard top, and you have a 4 door, 2 of the hard top screws are on the top of the hard top.....my jeep instructions failed to mention the location of the 7th and 8th screws for the 4 door model.

My hard top is nicely stored now in my garage...its a little bit "off level" i'll adjust the knots at some point, probably in late fall when i go to put the hard top back on for the winter months!

Overall a great pickup!
Old 08-31-2010, 08:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Old 11-07-2010, 12:28 PM
JK Newbie

Seems like the harken hoist is a favorable lift.
I am about to make one, but I read about this.
$150 seems worth it if you don't want the aggravation of building your own.
You could make it cheaper, but it may take more time to find everything you need!

So, any cons with this setup?

I've seen alot of posts on here from the guys that have made them.
They look real nice.

I like the homeade version with the platform that allows you to store more stuff in the winter months (like the soft top)

Has anyone utilized the harken hoist effectively by adding on to it for more storage?
I guess I really don't need the storage, but I have the ceiling height to take advantage of. Its not like it would be in the way.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is this hoist rated for long term storage of the top while suspended with the hardware included? What I mean is, is it ok to leave the top hanging for an entire summer? I'd didn't see any specifics on the harken website.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:28 AM
JK Newbie

I printed the specs from the website. They give you a picture / list of everything you need. If you have a local cable supplier, they should have almost everything there.

You may be able to duplicate what they have, and buy stronger peices, rope etc for more confidence. I may do this. It could also be cheaper if you find a place that has everything.

Just a thought.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

"Is this hoist rated for long term storage of the top while suspended with the hardware included? What I mean is, is it ok to leave the top hanging for an entire summer? I'd didn't see any specifics on the harken website. "

I have had my hard top hanging for about a month now...I put on the soft top since the weather has been so nice. Haven't had any issues (except I keep hitting my head when I work in the garage).

"Has anyone utilized the harken hoist effectively by adding on to it for more storage? I guess I really don't need the storage, but I have the ceiling height to take advantage of. Its not like it would be in the way. "

I planned on getting a piece of ply wood and drilling some holes in the corner so that I can store my soft top up off the ground during the winter.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:45 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah I think that would be a good idea.

I've heard that it being suspended can warp the top...so, is there anything about the harken setup that eliminates warp?

I'm sure you could add 4 more eye bolts in the ceiling just outside the width of the hardtop, drop 4 chains, and suspend a plywood platform.

Lift the hardtop up a tad higher than you want it, put the platform on, then lower the top a tad to let it rest.

Basically identical to the ideas I've seen on here.

I think I may try that...but seeing as how this looks like I simple setup I can recreate, I may try to find everything at a local supplier and price it out.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I built my own but to prevent possible warping, I built 2, 2x4 holders to go around it. I nailed 2 2x4's coming down one side and a small hinge at the bottom of each. I made an L of 2 more 2x4's to go under and up the other side. At the ceiling on the other side, I have latches to hold it to the ceiling.

I have the L part removed by taking the pin out of the hinge. I raise the top and then put the hinge pin in and raise it to the ceiling and use the latches to hold it up. I then lower the top onto the 2x4's and put a board along the inside (going from side to side and held in with a bolt on each side in the attachment holes to prevent the top from spreading.)

I still and stupid with getting pictures posted but if you are interested, you can PM me and I'll send you a bunch of pics.

Quick Reply: Harken 4-point Hardtop hoist write-up and initial review