Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

There is a Rat living in my Jeep!

Old 09-12-2010, 09:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There is a Rat living in my Jeep!

I spent about 1 1/2 hours washing and detailing my Jeep this morning. Looked great.
I came inside for a bit. When I went outside to my Jeep, I heard chewing coming from the driver's side. I instantly knew what it was.

I live in the desert and it's rat season. I've shot a couple, poisoned other. For some reason, they won't go into the rat traps. We took the hose to every single hole in the engine compartment and to every hole outside and under the Jeep. We flushed out some poop and nesting. Then my husband noticed a large nest under the cowling. We took the cowling off and he had 6' of rope and pieces of that spray foam insulation. He had started chewing on a few wires but nothing serious.

My question is: are there any compartments on the drivers side where the rat can hide that I couldn't hit with the hose?

We keep both my Jeep and my husband's diesel 4x4 in the garage. They don't go into his truck so I'm wondering if it's the smell of diesel? If that's the case, I'm going to soak a rag with diesel and put it in the Jeep. I have some of those electronic pest controllers I'm going to put in various places in the engine. I tried mothballs in my old truck but I don't know if that really worked.

I've been using my .22 to shoot the rats but I'm so ticked, I'm going to start using hollow points in my .357.

Any tips on rat control?
Old 09-12-2010, 09:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other than traps I have no other tips.
I would try the traps that snap there neck. I use peanut butter as bait.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't have any advice for the rat problem, but I can say that I hope to someday have a wife that drives a modded Jeep and shoots rats with 357's....
Old 09-12-2010, 09:50 AM
JK Freak

Take of your doors and carpets
Buy a snorkle, and go under water for 5 minutes
Old 09-12-2010, 12:19 PM
JK Freak

I feel your frustration! I had a pack rat problem. I had one build a nest on top of my engine when I left home for a week. It had one of my socks, a bunch of screws and nails, some old insulation and a bunch of dried grass. The bastard chewed some of my spark plug wires, too! I got myself 3 badass cats and the only pack rats I see now are dead pack rats. Along with the shrews, mice, sparrows, chipmunks, and squirrels. Cats are a pain in the ass sometimes but they're worth it for rodent control IMO.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Luckily my Jeep is rat/mouse free, but I have had them make a nest in my air filter on one of my cars. Since then I have tons of traps out to keep them away and so far has worked
Old 09-12-2010, 02:32 PM
JK Freak

After much computer searching, I found a Rat Zapper which electrocutes the rats when they go for the bait. Then I bought some peppermint oil because everything I read, they hate any mint smell.
I can't do cats because we have mountain lions, bobcats and coyotes. We actually had a bobcat in the property last week who chased my landlords baby horses.

When I had my show truck, I had a rat die inside the driver's side fender. We had to take the entire fender off. We found a huge rat, tons of poison, grass and a large dead bird. After all that, a year later, another rat died in the same place. Instead of taking everything off again, I had a friend of mine drill a LARGE hole where I knew the rat was. Pulled him out and all his nestings and put a temp flap over the hole so any further rat, I could just pull out.

The only good rat is a dead rat. It's war! There's nothing I like better than flinging a dead rat over the fence.

Last edited by Christine; 09-12-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheres peta
Old 09-12-2010, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

We had a truck towed into our shop with chewed up wiring, we fixed the wiring and two days later it came back with all the fixes chewed up again and more, they had driven it about two hundred miles in those two days too. We pulled it all apart and in the inner fender well I found a GIANT RAT, that sucker scared the crap out of me when I looked up in there and seen noting but teeth and tail.. I hit it with my taser and tossed him in the dumpster.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RPO_Z06
I hit it with my taser and tossed him in the dumpster.
:rotfl mao2:
Don't tase me, Bro!

Oh man!!! I have a taser, how cool and I have to test it!!! Yippee!!!

Last edited by Christine; 09-12-2010 at 03:17 PM.

Quick Reply: There is a Rat living in my Jeep!