Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Installing MOPAR Cruise Control

Old 08-25-2007, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing MOPAR Cruise Control

Well, I am taking my Jeep on a long trip next weekend, so I thought I'd get off my butt and install the MOPAR cruise control in my JK. Here is a write-up. I got my kit from the local dealer, $225. I could probably have found it online cheaper, but I didn't have to pay shipping from the dealer and he got it for me next-day. Your mileage may vary, here.

First, the obligatory disclaimer, these instructions are purely for entertainment value and shouldn't be used by anyone for anything. If you attempt any of the feats described herein, you're own your own. As part of the install you'll be working with your airbags, which should be consider explosive devices. I'm not responsible for any injury to you or your Jeep. So there.

Now, you'll need the following tools:

10mm Box-end wrench
10mm socket
13mm socket
T20 Torx Socket (make sure it's a socket, you'll need it)
Socket extensions in various lengths (3", 6")
Socket wrench
Torque wrench
Stubby length standard screwdriver with a wide blade (you'll see)
Needle nose pliers

Contents of the kit:

One black steering wheel shroud
One beige steering wheel shroud
One black cruise control arm
One wiring harness
Two polished self tapping screws
One black self tapping screw

Last edited by Jake_Blues; 08-25-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Disconnect battery:

First, loosen the negative (black wires) terminal clamp from the battery using a 10mm box-end wrench. Then isolate the connector from the battery terminal so you are positive it cannot be jostled around from you getting in and out of your Jeep and touch the battery. I just covered the negative battery terminal with a leather glove for this purpose.

Now, get a soda, twiddle your thumbs, and wait 2 minutes for the airbag capacitor to discharge.

Airbag removal:

This was, by far, the hardest part of the install, and the instructions for this step sucked. So, I took lots of pictures, hopefully they will help. Remember, you're working with an explosive device here, treat it gently. Don't drop, puncture, or abuse it. Try not to point it at your face and store it face up (Jeep emblem up) so that if the unit discharges, it doesn't become a projectile.

Lower the tilt-steering wheel to its lowest position, then insert your key and turn it to unlock the steering wheel.

There are three access holes at the 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock, and 6 o'clock positions on the back of the steering wheel shroud. Locate these now. Here is a picture of one of them:

Rotate the steering wheel till one of the top two (10 o'clock or 2 o'clock) holes is pointed straight up. Now, take your stubby, wide bladed standard screwdriver with the blade parallel to the ground and insert it into the hole as far as it will go, as shown:

Next, twist the screwdriver 90 degrees to disengage a wire loop on the airbag from a hook on the steering wheel hub. Below is a picture of what is actually happening inside the plastic shroud:

Hopefully this helps you envision what you're trying to accomplish when you're working on your Jeep and can't see what is happening because of the plastic shroud.

Pull on the airbag from the front as you disengage each loop to keep it from snapping back over the hook once it is free. After the first loop is free, turn the steering wheel till the next access hole is straight up and repeat the process. Do the top two loops first, and the bottom (6 o'clock) hole last. The second two loops are much easier once the first is disengaged.

This picture clearly shows the three metal loops you are trying to disengage from the hooks. After all three hooks are released, disconnect the two plugs from the back of the airbag and set it aside. Behind the airbag, you can see the four switches that set off the horn when pressed, and the cable that connects them to the steering column.

Now we're ready to remove the steering wheel.

Last edited by Jake_Blues; 08-25-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Steering Wheel removal:

Using the 13mm socket, remove the steering wheel bolt in the center of the steering wheel:

\
After removing the bolt, slowly work the steering wheel up and down and back and forth as you pull on it to work it off the splines of the steering column.

Work slowly! Don't smack yourself in the face with the steering wheel. Not only will it hurt your face, but it will damage the wires and plugs connecting the steering wheel to the column.

Now that the steering wheel is off the shaft, squeeze the plug to disconnect the horn cable harness from the steering column.

You can now take the steering wheel assembly over to your workbench to complete the install.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Installing the cruise control arm:

First, remove and save the four Torx screws that retain the steering-wheel shroud, then remove and dispose of the old steering wheel shroud:

Next, use your needle-nose pliers to squeeze the four retaining clips holding the horn switches to the steering wheel hub, and push them out. After all four switches are loose, cutting the nylon zip-ties should free the cable harness from the steering wheel. Discard the old wire harness.

Now, press the new wire harness on in place of the old one. The clips on the horn switches just press in till they click into place. Below, you can see the new harness is in place. Make sure that your harness proceeds around the steering-wheel hub in a clockwise fashion as shown so that the cables exit in the right place. You can see I zip-tied my new harness in place at this point. Don't do this yet! It will screw you up later, as I discovered.

Now, take the new steering wheel shroud that matches the color of your interior (or the other one, if you want to be different) and push it onto the back of the steering wheel hub, then attach it with the four screws that held on the old shroud:

Insert the new cruise control arm into the side of the steering wheel shroud. As shown below, take special care to make sure it goes UNDER the horn-switch wire harness. If you zip-tied your wire harness down earlier like I did, you'd find out this is impossible. Insert the two silver screws into the posts in the plastic steering wheel shroud using your T-15 Torx socket to tighten them down and secure the arm. Don't torque them down too hard, you'll strip out or split the plastic. Just make them good and snug. I didn't get a good picture of this step, but it is pretty self explanatory (you can see the posts it sits on in the picture above). Next, flip over the steering wheel and insert the black self-tapping screw through the third hole in the control arm and into the steering wheel hub casting. This screw is tough to drive in because it is tapping the hole as it goes. Work slowly, and after every turn or two, back the screw out and blow out all the metal shavings, then start again. Tighten this screw down like the other two, with care not to split the plastic of the cruise control arm:

Now, just connect the plug from the wiring harness to the cruise control arm, and you should have a completely assembled unit ready to go back on the Jeep. You can zip-tie your wiring harness to the steering wheel hub at this point, but it isn't necessary and the instructions don't call for it.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Reinstalling the steering wheel:

Bring the complete steering wheel assembly back to the Jeep, and feed the white plug from the steering wheel wire harness through the back of the shroud, then reconnect it to the receptacle on the steering column. Feed the airbag wires back through the shroud as well.

Begin pressing the steering wheel hub onto the splined shaft of the steering column. As you line things up, you'll see an arrow formed in the casting of the hub. You need to line this arrow up with the punch mark in the end of the steering column shaft, as shown below. As you can see in the picture, one of the splines cut in the steering wheel hub is much wider than the others, and it must line up with a flat spot on the steering column shaft in order for them
to slide together:

Replace the steering wheel bolt and tighten to 36 ft-lbs using your torque wrench and 13mm socket:

Next, reconnect the two color-coded plugs into the air-bag assembly, line up the three wire loops to their respective hooks, and then press it back onto the steering wheel:

All done!
Old 08-25-2007, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice writeup! I was waiting to see how difficult the CC install was because its the only option I want in the S package...and dont want to pay $1200 or more for it. Looks simple...maybe a bit tedious, but not difficult at all...if you can install a new stereo, you should be able to do this.

Anyone know what the dealer charges for the install? My guess would be at least $150....just curious. It looks like its about a 1 hour job if you take your time and are careful about it.

Thanks for the writeup!
Old 08-25-2007, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Audiophiliac
Nice writeup! I was waiting to see how difficult the CC install was because its the only option I want in the S package...and dont want to pay $1200 or more for it. Looks simple...maybe a bit tedious, but not difficult at all...if you can install a new stereo, you should be able to do this.

Anyone know what the dealer charges for the install? My guess would be at least $150....just curious. It looks like its about a 1 hour job if you take your time and are careful about it.

Thanks for the writeup!
It took me about 2 hours, and that was including taking all the pictures, making some notes, and figuring out the damn airbag removal process (the included instructions truly suck). So yea, I'd say 1 hour should do it.

I didn't ask the dealer how much he'd charge, it's too easy to do on your own.

Originally Posted by benmar2000
What about the parts to control the throttle under the hood? Are the controls already there?
The JK has an electronic throttle, so yes, all the parts are already there. In a way, the JK is ALWAYS on cruise control, since the computer always controls the butterfly valve... it just takes the throttle pedal position under advisement

There are no computer flashes or other work necessary, just plug it in and go.

-E

Last edited by Jake_Blues; 08-25-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

The only thing I don't like about it is that the cruise control arm moves with the steering wheel, so I find myself fumbling for it a little bit if I'm trying to adjust the cruise while making any kind of turn. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it did bug me a bit.

-E
Old 08-25-2007, 11:25 PM
-

does the JK does not have a driver airbag?

has anyone ever wanted to change the jeep steering wheel to something more sporty looking? or more "full"

the stock JK wheel seems kinda dull to me :sad:
Old 08-26-2007, 12:03 AM
JK Newbie

does this work on both automatic and standard transmissions?

Quick Reply: Installing MOPAR Cruise Control