Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

BUG OUT ....Getting the JK ready...

Old 08-17-2011, 10:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beantown
this is a pretty cool dicussion. gets you thinking. ive always thought about the what if. i would like to get something started to keep in the jeep but there is so much to think about and get and piece together. i guess the first think to get is the actual bag. what do you all have for the bug out BAG? even if the SNHTF, it would be good to have something like this in the jk for wheeling, emergencies and camping, etc and be fun to put together.
I don't think the actuall brand of bag really matters as long as it is functional. I use a Tactical Tailor MALICE Version III. It is huge and you can pretty much pack more than you can carry in it which is good. I also love Eberlestock bags and Mystery Ranch. When it comes to a bag just remember that there is no price for comfort when having to carry it on your back for a few weeks.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

Default First aid stuff

Galls has ready-to-grab first aid and trauma kits perfect for the BOB/BOV/BOL. Many sizes. Losts of advanced stuff if you want it.

http://www.galls.com/search?searchac...3dAll+Products
Old 08-20-2011, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AZOverland
Being a avid outdoorsman, camper, backpacker and fisherman my brother has just introduced me to the idea of "Bugging Out" and I first thought with some minor changes in my organizing, packing and all around level of readiness Bug Out would be an easy switch. But theres alot too it.
For those who don't know (maybe I was the last one not too) Bug Out refers to being able to evacuate your home/city in very short order in the event of a major crisis were staying put would be more dangerous. In most cases the event will be localized and the timeframe will be limited. Examples include natural disaster, infrastructure failure, terrorist attacks, ect...... where getting out of Dodge is the best answer. Recent newlines clearly illustrate the such a level of preparedness is no longer left out there on the fringe of society but is something that most responsible persons want to address. Look at what happen in California with a gas main not to mention events like 911 or Katrina. The truth is any of us in our highly complex society may need to Bug Out at anytime, but the idea is far more involved than just grabbing the sh!t and hitting the road.
Have you considered leaving off one of the compressors and adding a large full strength high calorie trauma bag(s) instead?
Do you plan to put a modest lift kit on it to give improved off-road driving? Not Rubicon Rock Crawling, but something to get you through deep ruts, mud holes, over a pile of bodies you just created with an automatic rifle, etc.?

I also have a shortwave radio RECEIVER in my BOB so if I do leave town I will at least be able to listen to what is happening. I use the Sangean ATS 909X from the C. Crane company.
My mondo-cool trauma kit I got at Gall's. The classes in (extremely) advanced first aid, etc I took from the Red Cross and local maritime center.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

I am also considering a tow-behind trailor. There seems to be a bunch of them being made now that will work very well for a BO scenario.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great thread!

Short of wild fire or zombies, I see little need for all this stuff for sunny San Diego. I lived through the northridge quake and the 2003 / 2007 San diego wildfires. That pretty wild but thing never got that bad. We live in the USA so our support system is pretty good. I've read a lot of the shtf type web pages and a lot of them seem to be xenophobic circle jerks. We run IT systems for the Emergency Operations System for SD and they got alot of the bases covered from earthquakes,
fires and pandemics. The black out caught everyone off guard though. Just gotta make sure you have 3 days supplies in case something happens. That being said I think all I have in the fridge is some beer and pepperchinis.

As for the big brother stuff it's all lame. The government is too inept to follow anything through. The fbi cant even hide car mount gps sensor without kids pulling them off and putting them up on Craigslist. Big business is what scares me. The facebook privacy controls, patent trolls, loss of fair use, $100k student loans and red light cameras... That the stuff of evil.

Last edited by mrtremere; 11-08-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:08 AM
JK Super Freak

This thread is great!
Old 11-10-2011, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great thread, now to start preparing...

So most of the equipment/necessities needed for a BOB, but what about equipment for the Bug Out Vehicle, in this case a jeep JK or JKU?
General Equipment:
-Winch
-Tow straps (recovery equipment)
-Reinforced bumpers
-Air compressors
-Aux lighting
-Snorkel

What else?
Old 11-10-2011, 02:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started planning years ago when I finished my National Guard commitment. I learned a lot about how the government would respond during disasters.
I decided then it is best not to depend on anyone else. I also decided it's critical to maintain the level of your preparedness, and to keep that level confidential.

I now have a group of plastic containers with everything from camping gear to uh... "hunting" gear. I also keep several items on hand in my JKU, including weapons.

My plan is if possible get back to my garage and grab the containers (my office is only 2 miles away). If there is time I will hook up my trailer with my ATV. I feel like the ATV may become the last mode of transportation if the situation is really serious.

I recently upgraded my front bumper and winch. I went with a 9500lb. rated winch, hopefully it will be strong enough to pull the JK and the trailer out of a jam.

This is a great thread and I really appreciate everyone's contributions!

There are some great ideas on the overland/expedition thread! https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...s-Let-s-see-em!!
Old 11-10-2011, 03:11 PM
JK Super Freak

I have bumpers, a 9500 lb winch, tire carrier, GPS with topo maps, and a power inverter. I feel like these things help out a lot.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rnjstel
As far as Bugging Out or a PAW/SHTF world, I have been set up for sometime.

Since we use the JK for the off-road/camping vehicle allready, it's actually ready to go today.

1st level is the Castle Doctrine. This house is a Fortress, built of real log, stood strong during one battle (Gettysburg) surrounded by open clear farm fields. Distances are pre-measured and known, each covered by interlocking fields of fire. With the current stores of MRE's and other goods/equipment we could last for 8 months with out scavanging or growing crops. Back up gen set, plenty of spare fuel, a seperate hand pump well and enough other equipment for any contingency (NBC) already in place.

2nd stage is if we have to abandon here, for that it's the JK. Onboard always in the JK is:
A. Hi-Lift
B. 3 days MRE
C. Compass
D. British Army Individual Tents 2ea
E. Winch with full recovery set up (hooks, snatch blocks, straps, etc)
F. Full Medical and light Surgical Kit with quick clot
G. Air Compressor, Fix a Flat, Full Plug Kit+ She sports about indestructable Kevlar MT/R's
H. 100 Foot Rope
I. Esbit Stove with 20 Trioxane Tablets
J. Water Purification Tablets and Charcoal/silver filtering device
K. Swiss Army Rain Ponchos 2ea
L. Full basic Tool Kit, JB Weld, RTV, spare wire, self fusing tape, etc
M. 5 Gallon External SCEPTER set up and canvas collapsable bucket
N. Entreching Tool
O. Machette
P. Signal Kit, 5 Minute 30,000 cft Orange Smoke Grenade, 5ea 3 minute Magnesium Flares and 2ea Magnesium 3 minute Signal Rockets
Q. Full Topo and Road Maps for Surrounding 3 states
R. Magellan Cross-over GPS (Road, Topo and Marine)
S. CB and Short Wave radio
T. Toilet Paper and Sanitizer
U. Magnesium Fire Starter
V. K-Bar Knife
W. Kevlar Gloves 2 pair
X. Space Blankets
Y. 2 Flashlights, 1 MagLite D style and 1 GI Style with Red Light
Z. Bug Spray and Sheet Softener
AA. Signaling Mirror
BB. Survival Fishing Tin
CC. Two MOPP Jackets in Woodland
DD. Fuel Siphon Hand Pump
EE. On Board 115V Power Invertor with 5vdc USB outlet
FF. Hand Saw with interchangeable blades, One Fine for Metal and One for Wood.

Ready to drop into the JK is a full pre-staged Pelican Case with a base camp, Two pre-loaded MOLLE Backpacks and other RuckSacks as well as a NOTEK (black-out) headlamp that can be readied within 5 minutes. That gives me the option to travel at night with minimal light signature without buring up batteries on the NVG's.

In the Pelican Case are:

1. Full Pup tent with Ground Cover
2. 3 weeks Rations
3. 2ea USGI -10F Sleeping Bags
4. Coleman lantern
5. Coleman Stove and additional Trioxane Fuel/Esbit stove
6. Full Washing Material
7. Ground Covers 2 ea
8. Air Matresses 2 ea
9. Additional Water Purification
10. Field Sinkl
11. Cooking Utensils and pots
12. Other misc supplies for primative camping

In the drop in rucksack is a Surplus Parchute sewed and rigged to tie off to the JK and a 20x20 camoflague net set-up

The Molle Packs and fighting vests/web gear are basic infantry load out, 72 hours rations, additional water purification, individual first aid kits, full MOPP and MCU2P, spare BDU's and so on.

The Molle 2 Pack set ups and web gear would be if the JK had to be abandoned, which is a distinct possibility in a SHFT situation. Realistically at that point, it's pure survial since max ground covered would be no more than 8 miles per day on foot.

Weapons Carried, its fully covered and lets just leave it at that.

At the end of the day, we really enjoy primative camping with the JK so both actually dovetail into one another. If we were not into the way we are, I don't know if I would have the "bug-out" gear I have at the ready like I do. The only slight hinderance I have, is being ex-military. Due to that, I know things one way and tend to gravitate to ex USGI/Mil Surplus equipment. Civvy equipment is lighter but, I don't know if I would trust my life on some Chinese-Wal Mart Sporting Goods stuff if push came to shove.

Hi-Lift and SCEPTER set up

Rear Molle Set Up

rear gate set up in Molle

Drop in Pre-Staged Pelican Camping set up

Base Camp set up with Parachute and Pup Tent

Signaling Illumination Set Up carried onboard

MOLLE 2 set up (The last straw plan)

Since this thread is back from Sleepy Time, I have changed up a few things.

I have moved some material outside by using the OR-Fab Tire Carrier and Surplus 81MM Mortar Cans. The 81MM Mortar Can is uber useful, holds tons

Quick Reply: BUG OUT ....Getting the JK ready...