Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

BUG OUT ....Getting the JK ready...

Old 09-22-2010, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ilflyya
Emergency Kit
Box of Alcohol Swabs
Mess Kit
5 Particulate Masks
Two 4 packs of AA batteries exp. 2017
Large pack of AAA batteries exp. 2017
4 D Cell Bat. Mar 2015
4 C Cell Bat. Mar 2016
2 9 volt Batteries and Steel Wool (Combine these to create a fire)
4 D Cell Mag Light
3 D Cell Mag Light
2 AA Mag Light
Head worn light
Cotton Gloves x2
50 Tea Lights (Tea lights and their holders can help elevate the temp in a well ventilated vehicle)
2 Tea Light Holders
1 Emergency Blanket
1 Whistle
Inflation Needles
Compass
Compass Directions (Yeah...maybe you know how to use it, but say your wife doesn't and you're unconscious)
Lt Dty Air Compressor - JK has the ARB Compressor Too
Jumper Cables - Heavy Duty
1 Hat - boonie cap style
Adjustable Wrench
Collapsible Shovel
1 hatchet
Work Gloves
1 pair Knee Pads
2 Emergency Triangles
1 Blue Tarp
1 Oil Funnel
1 Emergency Vest
1 Small ice Scraper
1 Pair Scissors
1 Small Philips Driver
1 Flat Head Driver
Tactical Green Duct Tape
6 Bungies
Leatherman - Kept Sharp
Imodium
Water Proof Matches
Match Tin Holder
Sharpening Stone
Fire Starter
H-cortisone exp. 8/11
Emergency TP
Granola Bars

Separate from kit: 24 case of bottled water

This makes for a heavy kit, so make sure your duffle (should you use that) is strong! Mine is in a Walmart bough duffle bag that I bet the straps will break...I need to fix that.

I also keep this list handy with expiration dates of items that can spoil/go bad. I just bought some stuff tonight to supplement this list, mainly camping stuff.

This Kit changes from Summer to Winter, and for the environment I'll be in.

Also, some of the items are useless if you lack training or know how to use them effectively. Spending tons of money on a custom kit will get you what you need, but that alone is no guarantee you'll survive. Be "Expert" familiar with your equipment (Extra points if you know how to fix/repair it) Heck, if I won the lotto and could go back to college, I'd go for to be a Jeep mechanic if I could! :-)

Looks pretty complete! I am gonna start one soon! I think I will add some sort of water purification system also.

Great thread OP!
Old 09-22-2010, 07:02 PM
JK Freak

well while you sit on the freeway in your prius waiting for it to clear out I will be in the corn field alongside of the free way actually moving my ass out
Old 09-22-2010, 07:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
A Jeep makes a terrible bug out vehicle.

It does not have a lot of room for gear + passengers and the gas mileage is horrible.
God forbid if the movie "Red Dawn" were ever to actually happen (chuckle at 80's movies, this one is actually being remade), I'd want a Jeep (maybe even a JK unlimited) over a Subaru Wagon.

Perhaps a Bug Out vehicle would be another topic of this thread. Based on categories of need? How easily it can be maintained/worked on. How flush the market is with the vehicle making a junk yard raid for spare parts easier? (assuming this is post-apocolypical and said junk yard is abandoned - not condoning theft).
Old 09-22-2010, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
A Jeep makes a terrible bug out vehicle.

It does not have a lot of room for gear + passengers and the gas mileage is horrible.
All that maybe true but a Jeep have advantages as well - great fording depth - abliity to get to places most other vehicles can't with out some damage and quite realistically damage that will disable other vehicles. All of my Bug Out locations and most of my favorite camping locations requirer a well built 4x4 with lockers and water fording capacity of about 25 inches. You make going to get there in a mini-van. Plus a vehicle is only going to get you so far period, we may have to ditch the vehicle and start hiking. So planing is what is is all about. A pre-plan evac route that requries 4x4 to get out the the metro area and caching fuel and other supplies along the route are all part of a well planned bug out scenario. I live in a town that has multiple dry river beds, access it limited and any gates are locked but we natives know how to get in these river beds and exit the metro area. Back when I was a kid the river beds in the city were the main 4x4 play ground and we would spend many weekend exploring. Many citys have similar seasonal water shed drainage. Have a "B" plan in the water is running. Weather may after all be the cause of many of the problems that caused you to bug out in the first place. So dispite the few disadvantages I think the JK can still make a good BOV.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:16 PM
JK Freak

God forbid if the movie "Red Dawn" were ever to actually happen (chuckle at 80's movies, this one is actually being remade), I'd want a Jeep (maybe even a JK unlimited) over a Subaru Wagon.

Perhaps a Bug Out vehicle would be another topic of this thread. Based on categories of need? How easily it can be maintained/worked on. How flush the market is with the vehicle making a junk yard raid for spare parts easier? (assuming this is post-apocolypical and said junk yard is abandoned - not condoning theft).
fixing the radiator with gum and pee
Old 09-22-2010, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Except in the modern version I doubt we will be running from the Russians.......

Also with regard to Guns in the Bug Out Kit......read The Great New Orleans Gun Grab by Gordon Hutchinson and Todd Masson. Everyone should read this, especially if you are developing a "bug out plan".
Old 09-22-2010, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Emergency Kit
Box of Alcohol Swabs
Mess Kit
5 Particulate Masks
Two 4 packs of AA batteries exp. 2017
Large pack of AAA batteries exp. 2017
4 D Cell Bat. Mar 2015
4 C Cell Bat. Mar 2016
2 9 volt Batteries and Steel Wool (Combine these to create a fire)
4 D Cell Mag Light
3 D Cell Mag Light
2 AA Mag Light
Head worn light
Cotton Gloves x2
50 Tea Lights (Tea lights and their holders can help elevate the temp in a well ventilated vehicle)
2 Tea Light Holders
1 Emergency Blanket
1 Whistle
Inflation Needles
Compass
Compass Directions (Yeah...maybe you know how to use it, but say your wife doesn't and you're unconscious)
Lt Dty Air Compressor - JK has the ARB Compressor Too
Jumper Cables - Heavy Duty
1 Hat - boonie cap style
Adjustable Wrench
Collapsible Shovel
1 hatchet
Work Gloves
1 pair Knee Pads
2 Emergency Triangles
1 Blue Tarp
1 Oil Funnel
1 Emergency Vest
1 Small ice Scraper
1 Pair Scissors
1 Small Philips Driver
1 Flat Head Driver
Tactical Green Duct Tape
6 Bungies
Leatherman - Kept Sharp
Imodium
Water Proof Matches
Match Tin Holder
Sharpening Stone
Fire Starter
H-cortisone exp. 8/11
Emergency TP
Granola Bars

Separate from kit: 24 case of bottled water

This makes for a heavy kit, so make sure your duffle (should you use that) is strong! Mine is in a Walmart bough duffle bag that I bet the straps will break...I need to fix that.

I also keep this list handy with expiration dates of items that can spoil/go bad. I just bought some stuff tonight to supplement this list, mainly camping stuff.

This Kit changes from Summer to Winter, and for the environment I'll be in.

Also, some of the items are useless if you lack training or know how to use them effectively. Spending tons of money on a custom kit will get you what you need, but that alone is no guarantee you'll survive. Be "Expert" familiar with your equipment (Extra points if you know how to fix/repair it) Heck, if I won the lotto and could go back to college, I'd go for to be a Jeep mechanic if I could! :-)
Thanks for the input - you should have a bag you can grab and go. Something you can carry I think - Here is a list of the basics in my BOB.

Water -

1.5 gallons in plastic bottles - 2

Water filter - Katadyn Pro Hiker

Polar Pure - if you don't have some in your Jeep you should - very cool

25 water purification tabs

A COOKING POT most important

Shelter -

8x8 backpacking tent by Eureka - kinda heavy really

Hennessy Hammock - very nice check them out

5 survival blankets

Plastic drop cloth 3mm - Home Depot

Rope and cordage - a least 50 feet

Food -

MRE's - higher calorie count then Mountain House

Mountain House Pro-packs - 2

Two canned food items - fish

Power bars

English breakfast tes

Seeds - gowing in long term bug outs

Fire -

Waterproof matches

Bic lighters

Firepaste

Flint stiker

Cotton balls with vasoline

Steel wool

Clothes -

Full Brim Hat

Extra socks

Sandals - for water crossings

Maps

GPS

Binoculars

AR 15-22

300 22lr rounds

Knife - SOG Seal Pup

Hatchet

Machete with saw back

Leatherman

All this is in a frame backpack I can carry and weights about 44 pounds

Last edited by AZOverland; 09-22-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:39 AM
JK Freak

Don't forget your P51 can opener!
Old 09-23-2010, 06:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by scarp
U need more AR-15.
along with a sidearm and plenty of ammo
Old 09-23-2010, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've put some thought in to this...

My main issue is that I live on an island (Montreal is surrounded by water) with limited bridge options.

Ideally I would head north to a more sparsely populated area, however the north shore bridges pass through Montreal's most populous suburb and are notorious for congestion.

Heading west would be the easiest way off the island, offering numerous roads besides the highway to travel (lots of easy off road routes over peoples lawns if needed) and two bridges to choose from.

Equipment list would be similar to what I take on an average canoe trip with some changes:
Additional food (dehydrated)
Gun for protection
Water canister (alongside a filter), maybe one of those water storage bumpers

Jeep mods:
Gas canisters or extended run tank
Dual battery kit + inverter (1000W+)
Heavy duty bumpers (pushing/pulling obstacles) + winch

Some other thoughts
Keep a trailer stocked with supplies ready to go outside of the urban environment
Have a country cottage (remote area) stocked with supplies as a bug out location or staging area (place to rest and refuel)

Good read!

Quick Reply: BUG OUT ....Getting the JK ready...